_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Re: my Carentan dio
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 - 05:51 AM UTC
So, i'm building a Carentan dio. After some researching and whatnot, and playing with the layout, I'm wondering if I can add in some anti-tank weapon, or a tank from the side of FJR6?

I have read info on both sides of the fight (Ally and Axis) and cannot get a clear cut answer to my question, so I thought I'd ask you all, what do you think?

The scene needs something else, something a little larger, and I wouldn't be opposed to a tank or something of the sort, if it fits and is pretty historically accurate.

thanks in advance!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 - 10:45 AM UTC
I believe that there is a Normandy version of the stug. The Germans still relied heavily on the 88s. This was a chaotic battle. I have a bi-partisan book that covers all of the Normandy landing as well as related battles. The Germans didn't always know where their forces were. If you are looking at Allied vehicles, your best bet would be an M10.
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hi Matt,
Thanks for the reply....so I could do an 88 (I actually have a kit!)? That sounds promising. Or I could do the M10....choices....

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Do you know the name of the book, by chance? Might be worth my while.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 - 11:28 AM UTC
Elite Panzer Strike Force by Franz Kurowski Stackpole Books. I have a mint copy I reviewed if you would like it. Normal price is $26.95, but I will part with it for $10.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 - 08:41 PM UTC
If I remember correctly from the Band of Brothers books I read, and Also Antony Beevor's D-Day which I'm currently reading, there was no armor or AT at the time of the taking of Carentan as it was Paratroops vs. Fallschirmjäger and aparently only a rear guard of the latter.

However, later when the 506 PIR defended Carentan outside the city, the Germans attacked with armor (maybe StuGs?) and quad 20mm AA guns. This attack was then fought back by the 2nd Armored Division, most likely in M4 and M4A1 Shermans.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Stefan
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 02:22 AM UTC
Matt, no worries, I will grab the book from the used shop here in town.

Stefan, that helps a great deal. As I am doing my dio based on E Co taking the town from FJR6, and it's a small-ish dio, I think I'll stick with telling the story with the little guys instead of adding in other things.

Thanks for the replies!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 01:46 PM UTC
Hey Brandi, you could always add some civilian equipment; cars, truck, farm carts or wagons, etc. I try to use them as time/place appropiate fillers and eye candy.
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hi Bob,
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with a Stug, actually. I have a kit and I think I can pull it off.
I'll be adding in extra stuff, too, and that will help a lot.

Thanks guys!
 _GOTOTOP