_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Need advice on Photo Etch
U2FanNick
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 11:42 AM UTC
Hello,
I just recently purchased Dragon's 1/35 Sherman Firefly Ic Hybrid hull
And it has a PE sprue.
I am to scared to even go near the PE AS I'm afraid I might make a muk of it:/
This is my first time using PE...
Any advice?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 12:07 PM UTC
You will likely need to aneal the pe. I have a pe workstation, but two straight razors should work. Don't sweat the pe that comes with the kit. If it breaks, you have two options. You can either attempt to glue it with ca glue or solder it back together or leave it out. I'm a glutton for punishment and usually buy more etch than I can take. You will need to use ca glue to attache it to the plastic. Take your time and, if need be, walk away from it for a while. Patience and rested eyes are virtues. Good luck.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 04:31 PM UTC
It's easy, especially the PE that comes with this kit. Cut the pieces from the sheet with a sharp blade against a hard surface. Go to Wal-Mart and for $5.00 buy a set of smooth jaw needle nosed pliers. Hold the part in the pliers and file off the nub from the attachment point. Then, find the fold line on the part. You always fold toward the groove. Hold the part in the pliers with the groove matching the edge, then make the bend with a steel ruler or whatever you have handy. That's it, done. More complex parts are just a series of more bends. This is exactly how I did my first PE many moons ago. To do the light guards, just find the right size brush handle and form the part over it with your thumb.
Then someday when you get confident and want to do more, buy a Hold & Fold Bug and you'll be up there with the pros.
It's really not that complicated.
 _GOTOTOP