Discuss general weathering topics here.
Spitfire gun dust - how do I do it?!
skyhunter66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 41 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 06:43 PM UTC
Just finishing off my 1:48 SPitfire Va and want to weather the gun ports to look as if the guns have been used. What's the best way to do this? I have Tamiya 'Smoke' and Flory's Dark Dirt amongst other things - its the technique I'm lacking!

Thanks
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 10:39 PM UTC
Let me start by saying, I am no expert. Actually, I'm probably the expert's retarded cousin. However, you may want to try MM burnt metal. Of course, this will not work if the wing is made of fabric.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 12:05 AM UTC
A fine brush and black pigment would be what I would suggest. You could do it with an airbrush and the 'smoke', but there's more room for error with that method IMO.

good luck.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 12:41 AM UTC
Get some hard pastels in various colours of brown and black. Shave off a little dust from the pastels and mix it until you have a colour you like. Pastel needs to be applied to a matte surface so there are "teeth" to hold it. Use a fairly stiff brush and brush the pastel dust onto the model downstream of the gun muzzles. Be careful not to overdo it; gunpowder staining is very subtle.
woody6968
Visit this Community
entire network: 454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 10:20 AM UTC
chris
all the info thats been given here is great pastels and pigments are very quick and effective if you have a matt finish . however if you are skilled and have a good double action airbrush the effects can be outstanding . if i may give one peice of advise which i have also been given many times , less sometimes really is more, and take your time you get what your looking for with practice and ask questions ,there really is a wealth of knowledge on this site ... good luck post your pics pls we'd like to see your work
skyhunter66
Visit this Community
entire network: 41 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 10:01 PM UTC
ok this all makes sense so thanks everyone. I am making progress slowly but surely using a lot of the advice I am getting on this site! Currently I am 'average' with a deisre to be 'above average' !
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 12:38 AM UTC
Chris, a technique my Dad taught me was to use a #11 blade to make dust from a sharpened pencil. Sometimes, if you sharpen the pencil enough, you can just push straight down onto a hard surface (cutting board) and it does it for you.

Then just use your finger or a stiff brush to color the surface with it.

Hope this helps.....it's similar to what Jessica recommended.
woody6968
Visit this Community
entire network: 454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chris, a technique my Dad taught me was to use a #11 blade to make dust from a sharpened pencil. Sometimes, if you sharpen the pencil enough, you can just push straight down onto a hard surface (cutting board) and it does it for you.

Then just use your finger or a stiff brush to color the surface with it.

Hope this helps.....it's similar to what Jessica recommended.

samuel i think what chris was after was the staining on a pannel from fireing a weapon over time , the black soot that builds up around the wing of the plane or on a turret ect.
what you have discribed is how to make a weapon barrel or other metal parts look metalic ,this is a very good method and one i employ all of the time . look at my storm girl in general modeling i have an mg34 on there using this method to finish it . done over semi gloss black of course . hope this helps guys . respect ...
 _GOTOTOP