_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Nikon Lens Question
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 11:19 PM UTC
I recently bought a Nikon D3100 to replace my aged point-and-shoot. I went with a DSLR because I wanted the greater flexibility when it came to things like shooting macro. I had planned to start experimenting with macro using the Raynox DCR-250 (lens attachment), but my wife beat me to the punch with a gift card to Best Buy. Unfortunately, Best Buy doesn't carry the Raynox DCR-250, so now I'm looking at two alternatives:

1. Nikon - AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Close-Up Lens for Nikon SLR Cameras
2. Nikon - AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 Lens for Nikon F-Mount Digital SLR Cameras

Is one of these lenses substantially superior to the other for close-up work? Does either lens have flexibility beyond super close-up work? I'm not likely to get deep into macro photography beyond photographing my models and the occasional close-up, so a lens flexible for (some) other uses would be ideal.

Thanks for any insights.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 12:15 AM UTC
Of the two, I'd go with the 40mm for close-up work.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 03:53 AM UTC
Thanks, Dave. Can can you elaborate on why you'd go with the 40mm lens? I'm a photography beginner and one of the things I'm struggling to understand is whether I need a dedicated macro lens vs. a good indoor short-range lens like the 35mm. I'm not clear on what the 40mm lens would do that the 3mm lens wouldn't.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 04:22 AM UTC
The 40mm lens is capable of focusing closer to the subject and of acheiving 1:1 ration - ie. the photographic equivalent of full size reproduction. The other lens looks like a good all-rounder but isn't a macro lens.
Personally for photographing models I use a Tamron 28-200mm zoom which costs less and is capable of 1:2 ratio, or for fine detail a Tamron 90mm macro which is one of the best macro lenses around but may well stretch the budget if it's not something you're going to use a lot.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 06:17 AM UTC
Thank you, that helps a lot.
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 04:43 PM UTC
Dave has given you good advice. You can compare the technical features of the lenses here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/810414-USA/Nikon_2200_40_mm_f_2_8G_AF_S.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606792-USA/Nikon_2183_AF_S_Nikkor_35mm_f_1_8G.html

As you see the 40mm will focus much closer than the 35mm. Now of course if you want to really jump into macro there is the 60mm lens but its really for folks who do macro work all the time.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/66987-USA/Nikon_1987_AF_Micro_Nikkor_60mm_f_2_8D.html

wapel00
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
entire network: 130 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hello Bill,
curently I'am using this raynox with my nikon D-90 camera,
results you can find below. The important thing you need to know is that for sure you will need a tripod and you will have very low depth of field - bigger zoom - lower depth. Good idea is to use stack photography.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 03:40 AM UTC
My other long time hobby is photography.

I do a lot of macro and close up floral and insect work, yet I needed to stay within a limited budget. My Present Nikon is a D90. For close up work I use a Nikon 55-200mm DX VR lens with a set of Kenko extension tubes. I can get greater magnification then 1:1 when needed.

As mentioned, you really need a good quality tripod as your exposures will be on the long side, and there is also slight movement when you depress the shutter. I use a Nikon MC-DC2 Remote Release Cord to eliminate that movement as well as freeing me from being tied to standing behind the camera all the time. It's a real bargain at $25.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP