_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Photo backdrop colour?
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 448 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hi, I've been using a white sheet of poster board as a backdrop when photographing models. However I've noticed a lot of people here are using blues or blacks. Is that simply a preference or is there an advantage?

Thanks for your time,

Jeff
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 03:33 AM UTC
I've used whites, blues and greens. I find blue the easiest to use. It doesn't reflect as much light as white and stands apart more than green. Other than that, I think it really is personal opinion.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,917 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
I've been using white and noticed that others use blue too. It got me thinking that when I have a darker subject (most recently my Marines Campaign IFAV in NATO camo), the simple camera I use struggles with the contrast of dark on white, and I lose detail. A blue or green background might help there.
-Sean H.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 09:23 AM UTC
I think there is a feeling among some that blue is the best colour for producing contrast with the models, and it reduces that effect of the detail, particularly at the edges, of fading into the background.

My reservation is with some of the rather strong blues that get used, is the light reflected on to the model is also bluish and can change the colours of the model; it can also be a bit overwhelming and not very "sympathetic" to the look of the model.

Here is an example, M113 APC. And in this set, take a look at photos 3 and 4 - especially the right hand side of the model: Whitewashed Marder III M. Apologies to the modellers of those, the models are still great!

You may notice in modelling magazines that they sometimes use blue for the construction photos, for clarity, but remove the background altogether for the photos of the completed model - probably taken on a white background and then the edges are faded to complete white to blend with the page.

I think black also makes a nice contrast, if the model has been well lit, and it has the advantage that it doesn't reflect any coloured tinge on to the model - it can also make the model look more dramatic. I particularly remember this one:

Personally I like white, but admit that sometimes I get areas that fade into over exposure, although I like the bright look where it seems the model is sitting on nothing. I guess paler neutral colours are safer, like grey.
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 915 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 11:08 AM UTC
I like white as well for a background but blue had been my main choice colour .
I think its trial and error of checking what the vehicle looks like in the viewfinder.

Its a bit like text in a book or on the internet.

Having a dark vehicle on a light background or a light coloured vehicle on a black background.By doing this it is going to give a better outline of the vehicle subject or diorama.

Michael
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 05:39 AM UTC
For unpainted models and works in progress I prefer a blue or black background.

For finished works I agree with Matthew and Michael, white or black backdrop. Also effective is a white to black (or gray) fade as Iain did here:

thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 448 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 06:48 AM UTC
Thanks for everyone's input. This has been very informative.

Cheers

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP