Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Congratulations Deserved!
dr_mazgan
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hi my friends,

I would like to post in here a short message about a soldier currently serving in the US Army in the Afghanistani war.

His name is Corporal Klyde McMannus from the 122nd Ranger Company and he has been awarded a Silver Star. The latest openly gay soldier to be done so in active duties.

He was awarded for his bravery in February 2012 when he on his own captured a Taleban mortar unit single handed which was giving fire to his unit whilst on foot patrol. He killed 3 bad guys in the process and a large amount of ammunition captured.

The story 1st appeared in the US press in May and has been reported in the gay press recently since.

He is from Nebraska.

Congratulations and well done for representing the community and protecting democracy for all.

Regards

Avi (Tel Aviv)
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 06:56 AM UTC
What does he being gay have anything to do with this?!? He received the Silver Star, that should be the end of it!

Have an agenda much??

Rob

P.S. And why is this in Constructive Feedback?
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 211 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 07:06 AM UTC
A brave soldier, but who gives a sh1t about him being `gay`.
I think that is his business.

People who think that other people who are `gay` should get treated differently because they are `gay` need a reality check.

A persons sexual preferences should be kept private as should their religion.

This man is a Silver Star awardee and should stand tall for that alone.
And for that alone Cpl Klyde McMannus i salute you.

Malcolm
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
entire network: 5,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
Interesting story but why is it in this part of the forum ?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 07:32 AM UTC
I heard silver star recipient. All the rest is bs.
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 07:40 AM UTC
His orientation is irrelevent to me, he is a decorated combat vet and that is all that matters to me. I only find the story relevent to this site as it might serve as a basis for a dio and it should serve as a reminder of why we here do what we do and that it is about more than whether or not this kit or that is accurate.
dr_mazgan
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What does he being gay have anything to do with this?!? He received the Silver Star, that should be the end of it!

Have an agenda much??

Rob

P.S. And why is this in Constructive Feedback?

The hardships and the past bigottorry (? my spelling) the gay community have endured but times now change which is good we have a gay hero to salute and so we can show that the old days are going and that there is good equality in the services, I was the only gay soldier in my unit when I was doing the duty in the 1990s, this is a story which shows that acceptance of people and their life and culture is good.

It is not to upset you guys but to highlight a hero, other people do this on the forum for their people yes I do it for a great guy.

Respect

Love

Avi
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 08:16 AM UTC
Ani I understand your motives but his sexual orientation is irrelevant and will only succeed in getting peoples backs up. For the most part in the west at least his preferences mean nothing and his actions are all that matter.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 08:35 AM UTC
This discussion group is for "Constructive Feedback.
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!"

This belongs in Soldier Stories.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 08:48 AM UTC
I am in full support of the comments of the majority of the posters here. Mr. McMannus's sexual orientation is completely irrelevant to the exemplary act for which he has been awarded the U.S. military Silver star. Are we suppose to believe that he is more worthy of the award because he is gay?? In my view the original post came across that way which I find offensive. Furthermore, your comments are damaging to gay people, the vast majority of whom I believe ask not for special treatment but only to be treated as equals to others and to receive the same rights and freedoms that non gay people receive.

He's a soldier that went above and beyond his duties and was recognized for it full stop.
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 537 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am in full support of the comments of the majority of the posters here. Mr. McMannus's sexual orientation is completely irrelevant to the exemplary act for which he has been awarded the U.S. military Silver star. Are we suppose to believe that he is more worthy of the award because he is gay?? In my view the original post came across that way which I find offensive. Furthermore, your comments are damaging to gay people, the vast majority of whom I believe ask not for special treatment but only to be treated as equals to others and to receive the same rights and freedoms that non gay people receive.

He's a soldier that went above and beyond his duties and was recognized for it full stop.

I believe that the OP was pointing out that this Silver Star recipient received the medal despite being gay, showing that he is receiving equal treatment and consideration in the US Army, and is in no way more deserving because of his orientation. Not offensive in the least.

Well done to both Corporal McMannus and the US higher ups in getting over prejudices that taint far too much of our world.

SCOTT
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This discussion group is for "Constructive Feedback.
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!"

This belongs in Soldier Stories.

Agreed.If it was true

Note that there is no link to any supporting story.
No search of the internet turns up any results for a soldier of that name or any other likely spelling or any similar story.

This is trolling pure and simple-

Slow night in tel Aviv?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 01:02 PM UTC
As it does not belong in my forum, I've moved it to Soldiers Stories.

I congratulate Corporal Klyde McMannus for being awarded the Silver Star.
I believe dog tags still list name serial number, blood type, and religion. I don't think they say straight or gay, so it is of no importance to me whether the trooper is straight or gay.
dr_mazgan
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 05:38 AM UTC
I will scan some pictures and the story is in hebrew from TLV pride press.

It is not a slow night in TLV because the places open until late it is the summer now

I am happy to see the messages of support

Rainbow Trouper Avi
Xxx