_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Headband Magnifier
Nerazzurri
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hi folks.

I've decided I could be doing with a magnifier and light headband. I'm not sure which type to get though.

At the moment I'm leaning towards an 'open' one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120918263812?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1952.l2649#ht_2460wt_954

But there's also 'closed' ones like this to consider http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DONEGAN-WATCHMAKERS-OPTIVISOR-DA-7-2-75X-LENS-/320724413289?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item4aacaa2b69#ht_4290wt_954

I think the open one would be lighter and more comfortable and maybe more practical by keeping your surrounds in your periphery vision?

But the closed ones, because of the kind of side blinkers, might keep you focused more on your subject?

I'd be glad to hear of your thoughts. One thing's for sure - I won't be spending any more than £10-£12; so much to buy just now!

Thanks.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 07:06 AM UTC
Mine is similar to the Donegan type. Bausch&Lomb Magnivisor w/3 lens choices,no lighting mount. I sometimes use for figure detail painting,especially if it's my second try at it! Usually I use a bench mounted arm with a lighted 8X magnifier that's about 4" in diameter.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 08:19 AM UTC
I use one of the "open" style, and find it useful to be able to flip the lens up out of the way when I need to look at things without magnification. (I know, I could flip the whole thing up, but sometimes I just need a quick peek...)

Tom
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 09:04 AM UTC
I've had one of the open ones I bought about 6 - 10 years ago in Woolies. An excellent piece of kit and you can double up lenses for greater magnification.

The LED in mine has died now so I'll be buying a new one of these, thanks for the link!

Nerazzurri
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 09:47 AM UTC
Rick - thanks. Table mounted things aren't really an option for me because I only have a temporary set-up in the kitchen - a sheet of MDF that comes out when I need it. Thanks for telling me the style you use.

Tom & Murdo - thanks for your votes. Unless, I'm convinced into a major change of heart I'll go with that style.
Nerazzurri
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The LED in mine has died now so I'll be buying a new one of these, thanks for the link!

I'd be disappointed in a modeller if they couldn't get a small LED torch from poundland and somehow attach it to the visor LOL
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 11:36 AM UTC

Optivisor rules! When the club does a display coupled with a build session, it looks like an Optivisor convention!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 07:17 PM UTC
I have the open type visor you link to. It's important to be able to see out the sides to pick up tools, kit parts, the glue brush, etc.
After I got tired of having that thing hanging off the front of my head all the time, I searched the internet for the cheapest place selling non prescription reader glasses. I bought them in +3, +4, +5, and +6 for less than $10 each and now I just switch between pairs of lightweight readers depending on how close I need to see.
This also allows me to look over the top of the glasses at the TV, or around the bench, or at the wife so she knows I'm listening, with normal vision.
Nerazzurri
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's important to be able to see out the sides to pick up tools, kit parts, the glue brush, etc.

That's what I was thinking.

Quoted Text

After I got tired of having that thing hanging off the front of my head all the time, I searched the internet for the cheapest place selling non prescription reader glasses. I bought them in +3, +4, +5, and +6 for less than $10 each and now I just switch between pairs of lightweight readers depending on how close I need to see.

I was thinking of doing that, as I have a head torch too. But I can just imagine me faffing with them, constantly taking them on and off.

I've decided to get the 'open' ones for now, but if I don't get on with it I'll give the head torch and reading spectacles a go, like you have.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 02:23 PM UTC
I wear the +3 "all the time" and switch to one of the others when I am doing something intricate. I'm not constantly swapping glasses.
You have to take the visor on and off and switch lenses to change magnification.
Of course, get whatever you will be most comfortable with.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 07:59 PM UTC
I use reading glasses in conjunction with an optivisor. Occassionally, I add some extra magnification from the lense on my lamp. I really is amazing how a fine line without magnification can look "perfect". But, under the glass, be far from it. The problem I have with using magnifiers are that I can see which direction fly away parts go.
Nerazzurri
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wear the +3 "all the time" and switch to one of the others when I am doing something intricate. I'm not constantly swapping glasses.
You have to take the visor on and off and switch lenses to change magnification.
Of course, get whatever you will be most comfortable with.

I've been wearing the visor for around a week and it's OK. But I'm not totally comfortable with it. The magnifications are very useful but the vinyl strap can become sweaty, it's a little cumbersome, the light isn't the greatest and it seems odd looking under the lenses for normal sight rather than over.

So I want to give the glasses a try with my head torch. I got a pair of +3 today which seems to be the strongest the shops sell here. But I tried them when I got home and the difference from normal vision for me is negligible. The strongest I can get at a reasonable price from the internet is +4.

Do you think the increase from 3 to 4 would make much difference? Or do you think I'd need to pay more for 5's??
 _GOTOTOP