Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Bored With the olympics ?
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi Gang,just doing a bit of a "straw poll" about the upcoming olympics here in the UK.
I for one am thoroughly bored with the olympics - over here in the media this is being done to death with nightly updates on our torch relay and this thing or that thing to do with it.
My personal opinion in these austere times is that they are a huge waste of british taxpayers money that could be put to better use,building the new olympic park in London just seems like a slap in the face to the rest of the UK when such grandiose structures are more sorely needed elsewhere.
Roll on when the blasted thing is over so things can get back to normal!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC
I could not agree with you more on this matter and as for cost when has anything that a government anywhere has a hand in cost what they tell us it is going to cost. It should have been cancelled a long time ago as the UK can ill afford this event.
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 06:54 AM UTC
The Olympics has become an advertizing shark feeding frenzy. I cant bear to watch it at all.
I feel sorry for Londoners who will be discommoded by unprecedented, unbelievable levels of traffic disruption and security apparatus.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 07:57 AM UTC
Yep---- can't say I have any plans to watch it.
I think it's just one of those gimicks that cost the taxpayers, (no matter where they are) more than it worth.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 08:02 AM UTC
I'll watch some mostly at work as background noise,but I do enjoy the Winter Olympics much more.Hockey,Downhill Skiing,Curling,Speed Skating all more interesting for me.

I think it's true of all sports pro or amateur,that you must get by the behind the scene garbage and just watch whatever event it is,because you can find reasons not to watch just about any sport anywhere.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 05:16 PM UTC
I think alligator wrestling should be an Olympic sport. I guarantee the number of viewers would go up.
dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 10:02 PM UTC
Just be thankful that you don't live in great London and have a daily commute on the train right past the olympic park! I do and I'm paying extra council tax to help fund this corporate feeding frensy and I'm really looking forward to overcrowded trains after a hard days work. If snearing at olympic spectators becomes a sport I'll be going for gold!
David
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 02:46 PM UTC
Although I don't live in Vancouver I really enjoyed the Winter Olympics in 2010. I had relatives who lived there who said it was an amazing experience.

Of course there is a big difference between the summer and winter games. The winter games still has that cozy smallish feel to it. I would expect that if Toronto ever got the summer games it would be a huge gong show such as London is seing now.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 04:36 PM UTC
Perhaps we should hold the inaugural "Kitmaker Olympics" to coincide (compete?) with the London Shenanigans.

Synchronised Sprue Cleaning, Rhythmic Decalling, Marathon Airbrushing, Xacto Javelin . . . . .
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 1,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 76 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 05:46 PM UTC
In total agreement over on the low side of the planet .. not long ago we had the rugby world cup here and tell you i got so close to getting my rifles out of the lock up .. these turkeys driving past my place laying on their hones ..had enough of that so fast it wasn't funny .
The olympics = huge waste of money ,,used once or twice and then pretty much forgotten about ,,utter waste .. do like i've done ,,my TV is sitting on the floor in one of my spare bedrooms ,pretty much sick to death of tv in general now .
I guess people are still amazed at people running and throwing things , i for one am not .

Phill
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps we should hold the inaugural "Kitmaker Olympics" to coincide (compete?) with the London Shenanigans.

Synchronised Sprue Cleaning, Rhythmic Decalling, Marathon Airbrushing, Xacto Javelin . . . . .

!

Carpet Monster boxing?
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My personal opinion in these austere times is that they are a huge waste of british taxpayers money that could be put to better use,building the new olympic park in London just seems like a slap in the face to the rest of the UK when such grandiose structures are more sorely needed elsewhere.

I am not a fan of the olympics either and it will go by unnoticed to me; Not having a television is a blessing

However, I can't agree with you that the olympics (or anything else) is a bad thing simply because it is costing money.

Basing somethings value solely on the cost is completely wrong and it destroys the economy, and society as a whole.