Hosted by Matt Leese
Worst Day in My Modelling History
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 12:12 PM UTC
Cleaning my $300 Iwata ab, in the garage, I had it completely disassembled and was rinsing it with acetone. I had to hold it to pour the acetone through. My fingers tremored and I droppe it point down on concrete. Foweld the threads that hold the tip on the body. A replacement body costs around $160.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 01:09 PM UTC
You may be able to salvage it. Do you have needle files? Perhaps you can carefully file the threads down again so the tip can screw back on?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 01:23 PM UTC
I don't believe so. They are compressed on two planes. Pushed inwards and back. It looks like a 60o slice of the tip is missing.
I do have a few hundred left on my credit card and may just upgrade. Too soon to tell.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 08:02 PM UTC
Has anyone ever used the Badger Co Sotar 2020-1F Gravity Feed Airbrush?
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

Airbrush meets concrete. Ouch! Not good. The Iwatas are like most airbrushes and have an alloy body. They seal airtight and hold extreme tolerances by virtue of using a "softer" alloy for the body. This means that any damage to critical areas such as threads is usually catastrophic.

I think that a write off/upgrade is the way you'll have to go on this one. But I'd be hesitant to "upgrade" to a Bager over a Iwata. As for myself, I've painted everything from tractor trailer trucks, high end custom Harleys and 28mm figures with Iwatas. Over the years each and every gun I've owned has eventually been replaced by an Iwata. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

good luck,
Jim
Large Scale Armory
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 11:00 AM UTC
Thanks James. I told my mom about the catastrophy and she is going to buy me a new one. She does quite well for herself and has heard me praising the Iwata.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 12:48 PM UTC
Aaauugh! That has to suck big time, Matt. I like precision machinery even though I don't use an airbrush. Good to have an understanding Mom around to help out. I would have called it a day for about a week( ) before I looked at plastic again!
It all works out......
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 11:52 PM UTC
what about a small tap and die set, maybe a friend has one and you can re-cut the threads?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 09:49 AM UTC
My mom just ordered me a new one. I have a general question about airbrushes. I am currently running a Badger 150 to cover larger areas. Does anybody know of one that is better?
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 08:09 PM UTC

Badger makes some good ones and the 150 is a longtime workhorse. They are relatively inexpensive and reliable. I found that they do have a tendency to "pulse" the air slightly when using higher volumes of air. One quick solution to this is by using a small air tank like those available at automotive stores. By plumbing the tank inline it provides a reserve and a buffer for any air pulses.

Of course if price really isn't a concern then you can't go wrong with a SilentAir Super Silent 30. Mine has been running almost nonstop for about 13 years now and hasn't ever given a moments trouble. Great compressors but they aren't cheap by any means.

If you're looking for a bigger compressor don't overlook the local hardware store. Many manufacturers have small, inexpensive units that have a tank and are still fairly portable. If you consider one of these though, you will want to hear it run prior to purchase. Some of them can BE QUITE LOUD.

hope this helps,
Jim
Large Scale Armory
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 08:54 PM UTC
James: I already have a Badger 150. I find that it is not very reliable and the parts wear down exceptionally fast. I also have a silent comressor. I am looking for something that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to use. I'm looking at Iwata and Grex.
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 367 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 10:38 PM UTC
Have you looked at a HVLP airbrush? I got a mini-spray from Iwata that is quite nice for larger areas.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 11:30 PM UTC
I used to have one of these, but kept having problems with getting it to work. I'll check Harbor Freight next time I am on that side of town. Also, I'm not sure if my Badger compressor has enough pressure to handle one.
CptSpitfire
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 41 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 10:30 AM UTC
I dropped my Iwata Eclipse as well, but since I wasn't all that fond of the .35mm needle I opted to give it away sans the damaged needle and nozzle rather than pay to replace it. When I can come up with the money I may buy an Iwata Revolution with the larger .5mm needle. I'd love to get one of those Grex with the pistol trigger, but those are way out of my budget.
 _GOTOTOP