_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
painting Tank tracks for desert landscape OIF
Euro_Pro_USA
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
entire network: 143 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
any good tip for painting , washing and wathering modern AFVs tracks ? especially being used in the Desert (OIF)
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
Euro,

Think my best recomindation would be the basic colors. If you imagine a track traveling any bit of distance, the sand will act like a miny sand blaster rendering any of the metal to a bright spot and the rubber to a nice black save the few nooks and cranies about the connection areas.

For what it's worth, I start all tracks a dark earth tone. Form there, I color whichever way the theater demands (and still experiment on this) and then brighten or muck up the tracks accordingly.

Dave
AMPS LA
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:41 PM UTC
The tracks on the vehicles here in Iraq (Baghdad area anyway) are basically black/gunmetal in appearance. There is a lot of bare metal areas as a result of sand/dirt grinding away at the finish. There hasn't been any rain for months so everything has a heavy dust coating. There has been a severe track shortage for AFV's here. It hasn't been uncommon to see the rubber track pads worn almost completely down on the bradleys. Some Bradley's are averaging 4000 miles a month in Iraq. During peacetime training some don't even do that many in training year. Airforce aircraft are flying tracks into Baghdad because they are so desperately needed. Normally they are shipped over through traditional supply convoys.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:49 AM UTC
Sauer,

Quoted Text

Airforce aircraft are flying tracks into Baghdad because they are so desperately needed. Normally they are shipped over through traditional supply convoys

Interesting logistics snafu there. I wish you the best over there in Iraq and stay clear of those mines and rockets.

Dave
AMPS LA
Euro_Pro_USA
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:27 AM UTC
Thanks all of you for the adice .
Take care Sgt Sauer and thumbs up for you !
Euro_Pro_USA
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:27 AM UTC
Thanks all of you for the advice .
Take care Sgt Sauer and thumbs up for you !
 _GOTOTOP