_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
REMOVING PAINT
popaddy
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 02:53 PM UTC
Isn't there a household product that will strip paint? I remember submerging a part in this stuff over night and brushed it clean the next day. Can't remember what it was though. PineSol?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 05:23 PM UTC
It must be brake fluid Dot 4, or Windex

Look here

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/190530&page=1

Cheers
popaddy
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:19 PM UTC
Wow, a lot of options! Thanks!!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:37 PM UTC
A can of oven cleaner. Brand I have used is called Easy Off. Spray into a zip lock bag with part(s) and let sit over night, scrub with old tooth brush. Works for styrene but don't know about resin.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Isn't there a household product that will strip paint? I remember submerging a part in this stuff over night and brushed it clean the next day. Can't remember what it was though. PineSol?

Try looking for "Simple Green" -- its an all-around household cleaning product. Works like a charm. What's good is that it's non-toxic and bio-degradable. Just as you have written -- submerge it overnight, and brush it clean (over running water)the following day. You can actually re-use it for a couple more of paint-removal jobs. Cheers
CptSpitfire
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 41 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 12:31 PM UTC
Simple Green will safely strip acrylics and enamels. I wouldn't use it on bare brass since it is a strong oxidizer and will oxidize and corrode the brass.

Super Clean and it's various names will strip pretty much anything, but it's also a strong oxidizer and very caustic like oven cleaner.

Windex will strip chrome and acrylics. It can take off Tamiya and Gunze acrylics without any scrubbing.

High molarity isopropyl alcohol (and possibly other alcohols) can be used to strip some acrylics and Mr. Color and possibly Tamiya lacquers. It also strips both Vallejo formulas, though, you will be scrubbing a lot.

I've never tried oven cleaner since I haven't found any hobby paints I can't take off with the above cleaners.

I really don't see why anyone would want to use brake fluid on a model. Ignoring the toxicity of it, the paint is probably easier to remove from the model than the brake fluid.
 _GOTOTOP