_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Building for fun/accuracy?
kobathedread
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
When I build a model, I pretty much build as it comes in the box with the occasional PE set. If the instructions don't have the call outs for Tamiya paints I will just use best judgement by eye.

Am I the only one that builds like this and is this approach wrong?, I only ask as I want to post some pics, but I feel put off by comments about shovels being 3mm in the wrong place, etc.

Whats your approach? and should I just post some pics with a disclaimer at the start
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 08:30 AM UTC
I try for balance between the two,I want accuracy,but will not go crazy.If it looks like a Tiger tank,I'm happy.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hello Frazer, I try to be as accurate as I can, but I'm not a slave to it. Close enough is good enough for me. I sometimes wonder how many models don't get built, or finished, because of the need for that last bit of research to ensure 'absolute' accuracy. It's a hobby, you are supposed to enjoy it. For some that means perfection, which is OK. For others, as long as the model looks close enough to what it's supposed to look like, that's OK too. Al
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:05 AM UTC
Since modelling is art, there are no right or wrong approaches! Personally I tend to invest effort detailing some subjects (like Shermans) that have an obsessive appeal to me, while lots of others I just build as-is because I'm not fussed about exactly how many bolts the starboard lamp bracket of a half-track had. And these days there are plenty of kits that are nearly perfect anyway.

As for posting, who cares if there are folks out there that might question your "dedication to detail"? As lomg as you like it, post it and be proud! If you get comments, take on board the useful stuff and disregard the rest...

Hope this helps,

Tom
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 1,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:02 PM UTC
Frazer... I build for fun and relaxation.If it is not 100% correct I really don't care.Some day I may want to be more picky but not now,I have so much more to learn before I try to be "correct". Every one needs to start somewhere.Don't be scared about posting pics,I don't think any one here will rip you up. Jeff T.
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I only ask as I want to post some pics, but I feel put off by comments about shovels being 3mm in the wrong place, etc.

Who's to say the tank did'nt hit a tree damaging the shovel bracket so it had to be spot welded in a different place?

What I'm trying to say is Barkingdigger is right, it's all subjective. Look at 20 pics of the same tank, real or model. There will be some variation somewhere.

Myself, I tend to go for accuracy but not to extreme. If the glacius plate is off by 4 degrees and 5 bolts are missing I don't care. I'd rather it be period correct for the varient painted in a scheme that would have actually been used.

As for posting pics, go for it! The people on this site are really good and for the most part encouraging.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I try for balance between the two,I want accuracy,but will not go crazy.If it looks like a Tiger tank,I'm happy.

Ditto...It is a hobby, enjoy it the way you want. And don't worry about other peoples comments, most are just trying to be helpful in their own way.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 02:13 PM UTC
Hi Frazer. I recently finished a P-47 Thunderbolt painted in Sea Blue with decals from an F-6F Hellcat, and folding wings. I had a really fun time building it and that's all that counts. Accuracy level = 0

I can appreciate the striving for perfection and accuracy that drives some modellers, and I am in awe of their skills, but that's not my bag and I would never criticise them for it.

As the other guys have stated, it's a hobby, it's totally up to you to get out of it whatever enjoyment you can.

Cheers, D
kobathedread
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 03:06 PM UTC
Thanks for all the feed back, its good to know I'm not the only one that's not super picky, I will upload some pics soon as I figure out how
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 472 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 03:53 PM UTC
I do it for fun. If something is really wrong, I'll try to fix it but I do things as is. To me, if it looks the part, it's fine. If I can do something to make it look better, why not?

Like my Tamiya Type 74, only thing I've done to it was do the grab handles as they were molded solid (doesn't look right) with brass wire. To touch it up a bit, I used that reflective mylar from party favor blowers for the protective coating on the laser range finder. And do fix one major flaw in the kit, adding the huge wiring from the laser range finder to the tank turret.
Nerazzurri
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:22 PM UTC
Hello Frazer.

I've just returned to kit building after 25 years, with the full intention of enjoying the builds out of the box.

One thing you could do, and it's my approach, is to check out reviews around the internet. Let the bolt counters do the work for you. There's often many kits of the same model, so just choose the one which is reviewed to be the most accurate OOB then build it.
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 367 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 05:30 AM UTC
I always try to be as accurate as I can. I might count rivets if there aren't a lot. However there is nothing wrong with doing what you like. The community here is pretty good. There may be a jerk or troll here and there, but they are pretty easy to spot.

Please post your models we would all love to see them!!! If you need help posting, let me know.

Mark out.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 05:33 AM UTC
As long as you get out of the hobby what you are looking for it is right.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Barkingdigger is right

Now there's a phrase I don't see very often! I may have to frame it...

Frazer, there is a guide to uploading photos to your Armorama gallery here. I tend to resize my pics in Photoshop to 1200x900 pixels, with file sizes of about 100kb.

To add the uploaded pics to your forum posts, look at the thread here. Alternatively, if you upload them to Photobucket first you can easily copy the IMG Code from its box under the pic and just paste it into your post. Hope this helps!

Tom
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
entire network: 1,380 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 06:10 AM UTC
Fun is the masterword, fun in doing what you love.
All the rest does not matter.

As long as you express yourself in those small stuff, you'll be fine.

Dare to post your work, it's a great satisfaction and the best way to progress. And precise that you're not a maso pain in the a.s kind of guy that love to be slapped with archi technical comments supposed to be constructive, but in the end just disgust you from showing anything.

FUN FUN FUN

Best,
J
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Am I the only one that builds like this and is this approach wrong?, I only ask as I want to post some pics, but I feel put off by comments about shovels being 3mm in the wrong place, etc.

Whats your approach? and should I just post some pics with a disclaimer at the start

I build for fun and for accuracy and some times just for fun. My accuracy builds tend to get bogged down due to my own nitpicking and then I crack open another kit and build something straight from the box.

I do research colours but I rarely follow the box recommendations and choose all my colours by eye.

As for other people's comments I think an awareness of where you're posting and a disclaimer at the start is helpful "I built this for fun with no research and had a blast doing it."

Unless you're looking for "helpful" comments don't post in the Constructive Feedback forum here on Armorama or in the Constructive Comments over on Missing lynx.

At a club meeting recently I saw a modeller taking a model from it's packing and before he had even placed it on the table another modeller told him "It's the wrong colour"

Unfortunately there are toxic people around who enjoy pointing out what they percieve as mistakes- that's what the hide user button is for
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I build a model, I pretty much build as it comes in the box with the occasional PE set. If the instructions don't have the call outs for Tamiya paints I will just use best judgement by eye.

The main questions to ask yourself are:

+ I paid 30€ for the kit. Did I get at least as much fun out of building it as I would get out of 3 movies

+ I spend 4 weeks to build it. Do I want to put it on the shelf now

+ I build it. Does it at least somewhat resemble the picture on the box/did most parts get used

If you answer all three questions "YES" than, no matter HOW you build it (With or Without AM, straight OOB or with added/changed details, Paint by manual or paint by pictures) you did it right. Because this is a hobby not a job so it should be fun not a "must do this"

I currently have a Tamiya M42 looking at me 75 percent done. AM, lots of scratch. Not sure wether I will finish it or ditch it and start fresh from the AFV kit. This kit is at least stradeling the line between "fun" and "work", maybe a bit past it. And models should keep on the fun side.

As for posting pictures others have spoken up and I agree
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 08:34 AM UTC
There is no contradiction in building for fun or accuracy!

Why does soo many assume that the ones who strive for high accuracy is not having fun? Im pretty certain they have fun, perhaps not your kind of fun, though.
kobathedread
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 03:03 PM UTC
Lots of great reply's,thanks.

I'm going to try and gets some pics on here on my next days off so I have time to figure it out.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC
Frasier,
Post your builds buddy! As long as you like what you created, who's to say otherwise. Take the good points people give you and toss the rest!
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 09:45 AM UTC
im also a mixture of both and it really depends on my mood and the kit.

if the kit is a cheaper kit with tons of mistakes, i probably wont bother. but, if i have spent a decent amount of money, i will fix the obvious flaws, but by no means am i going to make it 100% accurate. Ill have moments where i want to do that, but those kits are almost like going to work and work is not fun.
One area that i am very nitpicky with myself is colors. if the color that i use is not close to the color that it should be, i get very distraught.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 05:45 PM UTC
I'd say it's 50/50 for me. Most of the well-engineered kits of today can be built with minor PE and scratchbuilt improvements, and I will usually do that - thin down parts, add clasps or straps, maybe lead foil fenders, etc. The older kits I have which are not worth investing time and money in become "realistic what if kits" such as the old Tamiya T 34, which I made into a recovery vehicle, or the old Maquette T 34 which I mounted an old Tamiya 75mm pak on. Others become "zombie/apocalypse" vehicles. (Berlin 1945 zombies !) But really tool clasps and a few minor tweaks can really improve an OOB model.

What I DO try to do is avoid "epic fail" kits that get really bad reviews....like the Merkava with totally incorrect suspension which requires major surgery to fix.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 08:46 PM UTC
With modern quality standards and available reviews, many kits can be built OOB and have the accuracy most demand. Everybody should decide for themselves what "fun" is. I can do it both ways ... OOB or add everything apart from the kitchen sink ... and consider both fun. I go after my gut feeling and what I feel for at the time.
Theres no point starting out with a new kit and replacing load of parts only to get bogged down, loose interest and leave a finish that is lacking. When starting a kit, try to imagine it finished. Most pe and scratch work will not be visible, but take short cuts on the finishing and it will be evident.
If you are happy with your model, who cares what anybody else thinks. Most people will help with details if you want it and support your build .... Anybody who has a problem with it ... well its their problem ... again who cares. Do what you want ... its your money, your kit and our time. Do you think you will enjoy it anymore if you are trying to impress somebody else?
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At a club meeting recently I saw a modeller taking a model from it's packing and before he had even placed it on the table another modeller told him "It's the wrong colour"

Yeah, but I didn't mind, or really care.

Most important for me is the fun side of this hobby...for me it's about the build and how it "looks" to me. I'll add AM bits for extra features, not to replace kit parts cos PE is more to scale. I'll match colours as best I can but by the time you've done a bit of weathering what difference does shade make? I think you should post your pics...the vast majority here give encouragement and help in a very friendly manner. I've got loads of help on this and other sites that has made my builds better but not at the cost of enjoyment. My personal target for each build is "better than the last one"
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As long as you get out of the hobby what you are looking for it is right.

Plus one here. I enjoy what I do with my builds and dioramas. I do push and challenge myself every project I start,but it's fun learning and troubleshooting the "WTF?" experiances.
My motto is "Don't let a rivet get in the way of a good story."
Having fun is what counts.
Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP