_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Workshop design
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 10:19 AM UTC
With any luck, my wife and I will be buying a house this summer/fall. We're looking for places with a 1 or 2 car garage in a detached building.

As we begin our search, I'm interested to hear ideas for the "perfect scale modeling workshop". (Priorities, right?) Anyone have any best practices, links, details, articles, etc. to share?

My shop will be primarily for modeling, but I'm also going to do some amount of woodworking and "around the house" type repairs.

Thanks!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 01:05 PM UTC
try this :

http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/p/35363/369425.aspx#369425
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 06:41 PM UTC
Good stuff! Keep them coming!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 03:36 AM UTC
Just wanted to mention to try the search feature on top of the page using "work bench" or "work space".there are also quite a few threads on this.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With any luck, my wife and I will be buying a house this summer/fall. We're looking for places with a 1 or 2 car garage in a detached building.

As we begin our search, I'm interested to hear ideas for the "perfect scale modeling workshop". (Priorities, right?) Anyone have any best practices, links, details, articles, etc. to share?

My shop will be primarily for modeling, but I'm also going to do some amount of woodworking and "around the house" type repairs.

Thanks!

Sounds like you really need two separate compartments, maybe three !!!!!!!!!!!!

One for the woodworking and DIY tool base and work den where you are not going to be too worried about the dust and debris messing up your perfect modelling but with a good hoover for gathering the dust as you cut and drill!!!

The second for your model building and painting where you can keep the work benches in pristine condition and free of clutter !!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!! with only the model of choice on the work bench !!!!!!!!!! Maybe best separated from the woodworking and DIY by a double door lobby or intervening room where less likely to have dust and crap transfer !!!!!! Spray booth in a little cubical with good lighting and ventilation !!!!!!!!

Third room is the MAN CAVE where you can display all your built models on those home made display cabinets, sitting in your home made furniture, sipping your home made illicit booze and research your next project with your mates on the wide screen internet linked flat screen TV !!!!!!!!!!!

And of course to have a garage bay free to actually store a pristine condition original WW2 Willy's Jeep in UK army colours in full battle order ready to go to the next historic vehicle rally !!!!!!!!!!

AND WHEN YOU HAVE BUILT ONE FOR YOURSELF,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, PLEASE COME TO SCOTLAND AND BUILD ONE FOR ME WILL YA ?????????????

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Nige
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 12:57 PM UTC
Jake,

When the wife and I bought our house I immediatly called dibbs on half the garage since we had no intent on using it for a car. Here's a couple of pics of my set up. Hope they help give you some ideas.

_GOTOTOP