Badger vs Tamiya
firefox83
Visit this Community
Okinawa-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hey all,
I am currently living in Okinawa, and looking at buying a new airbrush. I had an old Badger 350 that I pretty much used for everything, but it went kaput on me. While I do have access to anything on the net, most the shops here in Okinawa can just order the Tamiya airbrushes, as well as some other Japanese brands.

Right now Im trying to find either one good brush I can use for different things or two or so brushes that are good, but dont cost an arm and leg for each one. All I build now are WWII tanks, so need a brush that can lay down the base coat across the whole tank, and well as get in and do some of the detail work like camo and all. I am building a tank now, which will be the first I weather as well, trying to find something good.

I have been looking at the Badger 100 LG or Patriot 105. Both seem to be pretty good, and I do know I want a gravity feed one, as I am not too fond of suction feed. However, if I go local, I am not familiar with Tamiya's airbrushes at all, and wondering what you all think of them, or can reccommend for both Tamiya and Badger. Thanks for the help.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 11:35 PM UTC
What about the Iwata products there? Are they as expensive as they are here in Europe? As you probably know Iwata airbrushes are arguably the best ones.
Regarding Tamiya AB I can't say if they are good or bad, but if I were you I'd prefer to buy an airbrush from a specialized company.

Just my opinion anyway

cheers
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 12:15 PM UTC
As far as Badger goes, I would recomend the 150. It comes with fine, medium and large head assemblies and needles. I have not used a Tamiya brush. I find Iwata better for detail spraying. However, I have now located x-tra fine head assemblies and needles. The biggest drawback to the 150 is that it is siphon fed. My Iwata is the Hi-po Revolution. You do need to remove and clean the needle, in between uses; where as you can get away with running some acetone through the Badger. Hope this helps.
firefox83
Visit this Community
Okinawa-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 01:57 PM UTC
Mauro,
I think Iwata is expensive everywhere What would you recommend from them?
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 08:15 AM UTC
I believe (and I've been known to be wrong before ) that Tamiya AB's are Iwata. I have a Tamiya Superfine (.2 needle/nozzle) which I like...although still prefer my H&S Evolution.

Brand aside, as they all have their highs and lows, I would personally try and find one that you can:

1-change the cup size

2-change the needle/nozzle size

If Tamiya and Badger are the only two that you are looking at then I'd recommend Badger for 'bang for the buck', part availability and excellent service from the company. The two you listed are very good, and their newer models seem excellent as well:

Renegade Krome

If you're willing to check other brands I wouldn't hesitate to recommend very highly Harder & Steenbeck and Grex.
firefox83
Visit this Community
Okinawa-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 04:43 PM UTC
Thanks for the link James, and it actually looks nice. However, its not on Badger's website anymore, and looks like it might be discontinued. I can still find it online though, with a good price as well. I might go for it, but wondering if you know anything about the other renegades that are out now. Mainly the R1V, as that seems pretty good. Thanks for the help.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mauro,
I think Iwata is expensive everywhere What would you recommend from them?

Yes it is but if you can afford it, it's worth the pain

Anyway, I think that buying their products in Japan you can avoid the sales tax so maybe it would be a bit less expensive

I've recently bought on special offer an Iwata Eclypse HP-CS

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/tools/iwa/tool_iwa_hp-cs.shtml

Is said to be one of the best AB for our hobby and many modellers say that it's an incredibly effective tool.
I've been doing some trials with it and so far I have absolutely to agree.

Cheers
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the link James, and it actually looks nice. However, its not on Badger's website anymore, and looks like it might be discontinued. I can still find it online though, with a good price as well. I might go for it, but wondering if you know anything about the other renegades that are out now. Mainly the R1V, as that seems pretty good. Thanks for the help.

Joshua- I'm not sure why the Renegade Krome is not on the Badger website but it is their most recent Renegade airbrush and most good Badger dealers sell them if you are interested.
firefox83
Visit this Community
Okinawa-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 10:37 PM UTC
Thats what I thought, everything I was reading said it was new, but oddly its not even on the Renegade website. Glad you showed it to me, will pick it up, along with maybe the 100lg. Always good to have an extra one floating around. Thanks guys.

BTW, that Iwata looks nice too, thanks for the link.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 12:56 AM UTC
I got a 105 Patriot and can heartily recommend it.
As usual with Badger, spare parts availability is good. I haven't used a 100LG so I can't compare how they handle, but from what I've seen, I like the 105's design of the colour cup and paint tips more convenient: The cup funnel-shaped, with no "shelf" in the front, and I like the newer self-centering tips (bigger parts -> easier handling, and no miniscule threads either). The handle cut-out on the 105 is also handy.

It comes with the 'fine' needle, nozzle and regulator. 'Medium' and 'large' options also available. I personally prefer the medium for the great majority of my painting. Most paints go through it well, and the tip size allows spray patterns from a thin lines and stuff like 1:72 Luftwaffe mottle camos to a bit larger coverage like flat and gloss coating, etc.

c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

However, its not on Badger's website anymore, and looks like it might be discontinued.

Joshua, I asked Ken S. (owner of Badger) about this and have no fear the Krome is not discontinued. They just haven't had a chance to do much publicity or get the Krome on the website yet
firefox83
Visit this Community
Okinawa-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 10:11 PM UTC
I went ahead and bought the krome. Found it on Ak interactive's website. Got a few weathering sets as my ( my first btw) so that should be interesting. Thinking of getting the 105 still, but will wait till the Krome shows up and I try it out. Thanks for the help guys
 _GOTOTOP