_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hey, Noobie here from Texas
RunninKurt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hey guys, just recently decided I want to become involved in the scale armor model building. I have been playing a game called World of Tanks, and it has gotten me very interested in tanks. Hopefully you guys can help me into the obsession slowly!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 08:10 AM UTC
Kurt, there are tons of members here to help you along the way. Always happy to see another treadhead join the ranks. Looking forward to your builds.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hi Kurt

and welcome to the group. and it does become an obsession, esp if you start slow, because it will sneak up on you.

laters and hope to see your work sometime

Delbert
RunninKurt
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 07:03 AM UTC
So, i'm about 10 hours into my first build. The Zvezda T-26 modeled in the 1939 scheme. I've come to find I'm terrible at painting. I cannot afford an airbrush at this time, and the handbrushed paint looks aweful. Any suggestions?
Borntman
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 07:45 AM UTC
Are you using oil or water based paints? I ask because I find that water based paints look better when I brush them on than oil based ones.
RunninKurt
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 01:53 AM UTC
The green and rust color paints I bought are water based, stupidly, the black and grey are oil based.
RunninKurt
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 01:56 AM UTC
I have so many more questions...

When you guys build models, what glue are you using? Are you using brushes to apply it? The small Testors glue sold at Hobby Lobby is so messy, and has greatly reduced the potential quality of my first build. Also, do you build it, then paint it afterwards? Thanks!
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 01:45 PM UTC
On styrene plastic, I use 3 different glues, depending on what I'm doing, how I feel, and what I've got at the time. Two liquid glues, either Testors or Ten-X, and I apply it with a brush. I also use Faller glue in a squeeze bottle with metal applicator tip. The Faller glue is similar to tube glue, but a little thinner and easier to apply.

When getting into photoetched parts or resin, I use various superglues or 2-part epoxy.

Quoted Text

I have so many more questions...

When you guys build models, what glue are you using? Are you using brushes to apply it? The small Testors glue sold at Hobby Lobby is so messy, and has greatly reduced the potential quality of my first build. Also, do you build it, then paint it afterwards? Thanks!

recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 706 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 03:36 PM UTC
Kurt

Welcome to the site, and as you can see help is but a PM away.

Cheers

Anthony
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 01:18 PM UTC
Have to correct myself. The one glue is called Tenax, not Ten-X. Actual full name is Tenax-7R.

Quoted Text

On styrene plastic, I use 3 different glues, depending on what I'm doing, how I feel, and what I've got at the time. Two liquid glues, either Testors or Ten-X, and I apply it with a brush. I also use Faller glue in a squeeze bottle with metal applicator tip. The Faller glue is similar to tube glue, but a little thinner and easier to apply.

_GOTOTOP