_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Models and the Work place
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 920 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 06:05 PM UTC
This post is funny. It seems as things happen in my life, a post appears relating to it. Very surreal.

I do in fact model at work as of late. I combine my breaks and lunch period into 50 minutes of modeling serenity. It really helps break up the monotony and stress of the day.

I built the Academy Stuart Honey, Tamiya's Pak 40, and am currently working on the Tamiya M4A3 with photoetched parts. This is proving to not work as well though. I think 50 minutes just isn't enough time when working with PE...at least in my case. Too slow going. I'll probably bring that one back home and just stick to OOB kits at work. I also do some figure painting once in a blue moon.

I'm the Supervisor in the Publications & Promotions Dept. for Walthers, the model railroading company. So a good portion of the employees are "train geeks" and therefore modelers as well. My fellow coworkers who aren't hobbyists will ask me "So, do you want to have lunch with us today, or are you going to be a military geek?" More often than not I choose to be the geek...more relaxing, don't have to listen to company gossip, and I get something worthwhile (at least to me) done.

So to all the fellow work modelers...this ones for you!

John
daredevil
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:06 AM UTC
I don't do any actual modeling, however, I do get a lot of research done while sitting at my computer. My day job is in a very slow property management office & I have LOYS of downtime. Consequently I do a lot of reading (reference books, technical, how-to's), sketching diorama layouts, etc. I often download articles & photos from the web at night, put them on disks, and study them at work. I makes the day fly until I can get home to my workbench/studio!
--daredevil
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:52 AM UTC
the closest ive got is taking a kit to work that arrived by post that morning,being a decorator im usually in other peoples houses and workplaces. this puts me in a position to notice that there are a lot of old models on desks and in peoples houses that they made as teenagers or were presents.one upside i found at a job where the guy was a retired rolls royce worker,we naturally got talking about aircraft ( he was at the flying bedstead trials and had seen a lot of planes in his time including a force landing by a lightning) when i mentioned building model kits he said he had a couple in the garage,did i want them? of course i said yes and he gave me two airfix kits a tornado and a B-17,the ones with paint and glue in a sort of starter kit, presents he hadnt time to build and were in his garage for about two years.another point is im the unofficial aviation expert to the other guys on site who, i think respect my interests (no-one can say that low level fast jets arnt sexy) :-)
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 07:15 AM UTC
OK, I have the quote for this discussion, which is pretty common among us plastic-addicted people:

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." Bertrand Russell

So... there you have it, our philosophy in a nutshell. Oh, I got it out of Wired, the magazine on page 52 of the 11/2003 issue. These guys are even more obsessed than we are. Frankly, techno-geeks have an awful lot in common with us when it comes to our hobbies.
Dhepee
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
I've got a couple of models on my desk. The only stuff I won't put out is WWII German stuff, just because it can send the wrong message to some people, except for the 54mm of two GI's taking a SS man prisoner.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 06:27 AM UTC
I guess the closest thing I ever did that could be called working on a model at work is research on the computer. That and using the color printers. I made some signs and maps in 35th scale and they had high quality lazer printers. As to being called a geek? I have always told guys I build models, have brought some in to show when I could but have usually brought in pics. Never ever been a called a geek before . If I had ever been blessed with an office, I would have brought in a couple to put on my desk
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 06:36 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

I cant figure out why you ride a Harley sell it and buy a Lambretta instead!

OK, I was not going to come back and add to this, but.....

Realy! Is there ANYTHING else but a HAWG! If you have no idea of what it is to have one, then you can not understand. Period!

That said, and this was in jest, I realy like this one. Yes Mike, even though you are in Scotland, you will hear my Fat Boy four to five kilometers (yes, i can convert) away. If not, I need to tune the carb!

Yeah I'll bet my mate who also has a scooter lives over the back of me he can tell I'm off on a jaunt cause it makes a big racket I run a 48mm pipe and 30 mm dellorto carb on it it may no seem big to some people but the standard was only 18mm oh and the smell of 2 stroke n the moring you cant beat it. As my scoot was made before 1973 over here in the UK I can fit any pipe I want on it and not get done by the police sports bikes need kite marks (british safety approved )no no fancy micron cans and stuff for them. one thing you cant beat riding along in traffic and every one staring at you no matter what you ride.
Back to the subject once I log in and check my emails at work I come straight on here for an hour or 2 to get me to lunch time
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:58 AM UTC
I have lots of down time at work. After all of our daily stuff is done, if we are not training, or on a call, we are free to do whatever. I usually get more stuff built at work than I do at home. Of course, I'll never get rich as a firefighter/paramedic, but I do love my job.

Patrick
 _GOTOTOP