_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Ferrari F40 LeMans—Fujimi 1/24
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi all,

Welcome to my build log of Fujimi's 1/24 scale Ferrari F40 LeMans.

I'm primarily starting this blog to get as much help as I can. This is my first car build ever, besides for a few Revell "Snap-Tite" kits I did as a kid. I do armor and aircraft almost exclusively, so in many ways I "don't know what I don't know" regarding car modeling. (Take a look at my photos to see what I have done in the past.)

This is actually something of a commission build—I am going to be modifying the kit to represent an F40LM as raced by my friend and former racer Roland Linder. This will entail creating my own decals, modifying the car's body, and other things for which I'm not exactly qualified!

So....if you have anything to add, speak up. I'll need all the help I can get!

Here's the kit I'll be using....

And here's the car I'm representing (there will be a few minor changes from the picture, since the car changed a lot).

Thanks in advance...

—Samuel
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 11:35 AM UTC
OK, so I haven't been able to make much progress beyond looking at reference pictures.

I recently cut out and trimmed up all the engine parts and test fitted them. They present a very different picture from the car that I'm building, so I may have to do more modification.

Further progress will have to wait for me to get down to the hobby store for some paints.....

—Samuel
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hi guys. Been awhile since I have been able to work on this, but I'm starting up again.

I'm looking for a good Ferrari red color. I got Lifecolor's "Italian Red" and was very surprised at its color—more of a cream-based tomato soup color.

I hear that Tamiya's TS-8 is perfect, but I want to airbrush it myself with out having to "decan" it. Is X7 red a bottled equivalent?

Or is MM's "Guards Red" a better equivalent? I already use MM, so I'd like to keep in the same brand if possible.

Thanks.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 12:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys. Been awhile since I have been able to work on this, but I'm starting up again.

I'm looking for a good Ferrari red color. I got Lifecolor's "Italian Red" and was very surprised at its color—more of a cream-based tomato soup color.

I hear that Tamiya's TS-8 is perfect, but I want to airbrush it myself with out having to "decan" it. Is X7 red a bottled equivalent?

Or is MM's "Guards Red" a better equivalent? I already use MM, so I'd like to keep in the same brand if possible.

Thanks.

Just found this:

http://italianhorses.net/gallery/italeri/ital288gto/ital288gto.htm

That looks like the perfect color. A little darker than the modern "Scuderia Ferrari" red used on the F1 cars, but I hear that's correct.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 08:47 AM UTC
Been awhile since I've worked on this or posted any updates, but....I don't think that's been costing anybody any sleep.

Next up is the body modifications and painting. That's gonna be tough, but rewarding if it goes well.

Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 953 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 11:01 AM UTC
Looking good Samuel...Keep posting mate...
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 04:13 AM UTC
Thanks Hakan.

Just got back to this...haven't been able to get any work done since the last update. I just finished cutting the triangular air scoop (?) in the nose and I'm not terribly happy with it. I'll post pictures later. This was my first time attempting any kind of modification like this.

If anyone's reading...I have a question. I want the red to be really bright Ferrari red. I picked my color (MM Guards Red), but what color should I use to prime? I heard that priming in yellow made the top coat brighter...is this true?
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 05:45 AM UTC
Couldn't tell you about the yellow groundcoat with the red topcoat, although that sounds interesting. I would think it would give a more orangeish look? I'd personally find the right color and use a white primer...some say silver under red is a good choice too.

I realize you already have your paint, but for future reference the Tamiya TS paints spray fine right out of the can. I know others like to decant it but I've never had an issue using it as it is. Clean the spray tip after every session and you're good to go.

Zero paints produce a wide range of accurate colors too.
 _GOTOTOP