_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Best Model Magazine?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 1,083 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi All,

I am currently a subscriber to FineScale Modeler, which I think is a great magazine, overall. I know there are many model magazines that are devoted to military subjects, tanks, planes, etc., and wonder which of those you might consider to be 'the best' of the genre. I'm interested in 1) general military subjects, 2) armor subjects, and 3) military aircraft subjects (I know, this isn't the best place to ask about this subject).

I'm really don't need 3 more magazines coming in the mail, so item 1) would probably be what I'd be most likely to subscribe to, but if a specific magazine about armor or airplanes is simply superior, then I'd consider one or both of those. I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask this question of, other then here, so please help if you can!

Thanks in advance.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 03:09 AM UTC
The armor one I like the best is MMIR. Military Illustrated Modeller is pretty good also. Every other month the issues rotate between aircraft and armor.
Mike
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 04:13 AM UTC
None of them. I canceled my subscriptions to all the model model magazines. I found that I was getting better and quicker info on the various on-line sites I am on. I really wasn't using the magazines anymore. Just my opinion though.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

None of them. I canceled my subscriptions to all the model model magazines. I found that I was getting better and quicker info on the various on-line sites I am on. I really wasn't using the magazines anymore. Just my opinion though.

SNAP!

I gave up buying magazines - I have the Kitmaker network that covers all my interests and Google for research, it's all I use now.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 02:40 PM UTC
I only buy one, and it's MMiR.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 04:11 PM UTC
I agree with the other guys that Military Miniatures in Review (MMiR)is probably the best U.S. Military modelling magazine. It's a bit pricey (about $10.00 an issue)and is published bi-monthly by Ampersand publishing company.
There are other magazines published in the UK that are great
but the cost of a subscription plus shipping could cost over $100.00 per year.
I get my back issues of MMiR on e-Bay. Hope this helps.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,556 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 11:58 PM UTC
I guess its a bit different for your guys stateside, because mags like MMIR are readily available, whereas some other UK or Euro mags aren't.

But personally, AFV Modeller is the absolute best. Modelling sites pretty much cover new kit news and reviews far better than any model mag can, and AFV Modeller therefore tends not to waste too much page space on these topics. Instead what you get is incredibly high quality modelling, excellent photography and a well printed mag. In fact I don't even consider AFV Modeller a magazine, all my issues form part of my book and reference collection. It might be hard to get in the USA but it really is most excellent.
 _GOTOTOP