_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Small Drill Bits - Where to buy cheap?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 1,083 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hi all,

I did a search, but only found responses that were several years old...

First off, what size drill bits would you recommend for drilling out the holes in Friul metal tracks? I'm pretty sure that the wire is .020in (0.5mm), so would the best size to use to drill the holes also be .020? If not, what size would you recommend?

Next, i presume that it would take a whole lot of bits to drill out a full set of tracks, so I'm guessing I'd need a ton of bits in standby. I'm sure (well, at least assuming) they will wear out/break pretty often. The only place I've found even halfway reasonable prices is Micro-Mark, $8.95 for six (6) 0.020in bits. I'd like at least a dozen bits (is that enough/too many?) for one set of Tiger I tracks, so is $18.00 plus shipping too much for 12 bits? Does anyone know where to get decent quality bits for less? Is it better to buy more cheap buts, or fewer higher quality bits for drilling out metal track holes?

Thanks for any help!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 01:34 PM UTC
Different fruil sets will require different sized bits. Like the real thing, tracks for small tanks need smaller drill bits than tracks for big tanks.

I bought this set:

http://www.amazon.com/Trademark-Tools-Hawk-75-TJ6180-20-Piece/dp/B00450ZAYC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1335231019&sr=8-6

Ironically, the only 'review' for that item is apparently someone who couldn't use them for 'scale model building'. I have no idea what he's talking about as far as not being able to use the package or being able to use them in a pin vise. I use them every day at the bench.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 02:13 PM UTC
Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the feedback. It so happens that that is the EXACT set of drill bits that I CURRENTLY have! Unfortunately, it only has one .020" bit (wish the set had 2 or 3 of each bit, but the set doesn't have that...), hence my need/desire to have several of each bit size.

I happen to know that the current set of Friul tracks that I have include .020" wire (it's the 1/35 Merkava 4 track set). Maybe I'll need a micrometer to measure the wire sizes if/when I get more Friuls!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 03:19 PM UTC
Just use the next size up or down. They're close enough that you're not going to have a problem. The only reason to drill the tracks is to get rid of any leftover from the molding process. You're just removing the burrs and whatnot.

Just be patient and take your time and they won't break easily in my experience. I've broken 1 bit in the last ~3 years, and it was completely my own fault.

At less than $10 set, just get another full set. Some local hobby shops will carry individual sizes, but they are, as you found out, a lot more expensive.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 04:44 PM UTC
Curt,
Most Friul links will be clear, you don't have to drill them out. When I'm assembling a Friul run, if I grab a link that's clogged, I just put it aside for later and continue. Then if I need the clogged links, I insert bits until I find one that fits the hole best and drill out the obstruction with my pin vise on those few links. Takes like 5 minutes and 1 drill bit. You don't need to buy 12.
ACESES5
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 05:01 AM UTC
Curtis: Go to Micro Mark.com they have the small bits your looking for in sets and single pieces thats where I get mine ACESES5
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 10:03 AM UTC
Thanks to ALL of you who answered. In particular, I like the idea of trying to use the links that are drilled well enough right from the manufacturer to not require additional drilling. Don't know why I didn't think of that, though I have zero experience with these tracks to this point, and the few I've tried to piece together and run the wire through happened to be ones that were not well drilled.

That said, I did happen to find a store on the net that was selling 12 .020 bits for $8.95, and I went with those, for future use, don'tcha know My luck is that I will run into bunches of holes that need help. Thanks again, folks, for the ideas! I love this place!!
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 04:36 PM UTC
An update, for anyone interested...

Of COURSE, after ordering the bits I was asking about, I decided to move ahead and see if I actually COULD put some of the Friul track links for my Merkava 4 together. And, equally of course, I found, once I started to do the work in earnest, instead of just play around with the tracks previously, they go together pretty well! I DID have to use the 0.020in bit that I already had to clean out maybe 60% of the approximately 60 links I worked on tonight, but it seems like the bit will probably survive for most of, if not all of, the entire set, IF I'm careful with it. I was surprised at how well the track goes together, but it DOES take some time. To do the 60 links, I spent maybe 90 minutes, and I don't see it getting much faster than that. I'll surely have no issue with getting more of these tracks in the future, though. And I don't suppose it will be a bad thing to have a bunch of bits available in the event that I get sloppy and break some.
 _GOTOTOP