Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Slaying of the Carpet Monster!!
juicebox
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 07:36 AM UTC
Last night I was working on my M1128 when a small piece decided to leap out of my hands into the mouth of the blue monster. I immediately grabbed my trusted weapon - the vacuum cleaner, and proceeded to vacuum the floor - TWICE! Alas the part was not in the container but only a lost drill bit.
While on a phone call today, I decided to take one more look. And wouldn't you know that dang piece was sitting right underneath my chair.
So the next time you are facing the monster take solace in the fact you too may one day beat him.

Justin
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 07:53 AM UTC
I myself don't have a blue carpet monster. Unfortunately, mine is Dragon Gray. I am afraid of the vacuum and damaging the part. My trick is a high powered flash light held on an angle. The light will reflect enough to spot it ( most of the time), also patience. Small consolation, you might not find the part you are looking for but chances are you will find something lost on a previous project. Parts sure bounce funny don't they ?
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
entire network: 674 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 09:04 AM UTC
Just be careful not to crush the part with the rolling chair...
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 10:04 AM UTC
One trick is to rubber band a piece of an old stocking over the end of the vacuum cleaner hose. It will act as a filter and snag the part before it is eaten by the vacuum motor. You just have to carefully sift through whatever else got picked up along with the missing part. Al
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 10:46 PM UTC
I have a large sheet of white plastic, purchased from Lowe's as scrap, that resides under my chair and bench. Now, when I drop a part, I can hear the plastic kicking the carpet monter's A55. Unfortunately, it seems that gremlins prefer a plastic sheet to carpet and steal more of my pieces.
MikeM670
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just be careful not to crush the part with the rolling chair...

Been there and done that one! Sure were a few colorful words spoken that evening!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 10:40 PM UTC
Dropped avital part of a kit once spent two hours on hands and knees hovered the carpet twice much to the Mrs delight was about to dump the kit when i found said piece glued to the side of my hand
MikeM670
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
I would of loved to have seen your face on that one!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 09:11 AM UTC
After giving up to the fact that the carpet monster won one night, I decided it was time to walk away and enjoy some history channel. Well as I took off my boots so I could kick back with feet on the table, wife was not home of course, I found it crazy glued to my boot laces. Funny how those pesky parts vanish or find new attachment points.