_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Well guys, the Sherman is built. Painting???
JMacKenzie
Visit this Community
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
Well as most of you know this was my first armor project. This was the Timaya kit and I can say it went together without a hitch. It was so much fun just sitting diwn listening to music while glueing it together.

Now it is paint time and I need all the info I can get because I really do not want to destroy this. You all know I have my airbrush setup so lets take it from here. Keep in mind I want to paint it the original olive drab color but I also want some weathering and dirt in the tracks and undersides.

Please walk me through the step by step on this fellas. I know a ton of tutorials can be had on the net but I want your personal info.

Take me from what kind of primer to get to how to best apply the decals. This will all be super appreciated and I will be sure to post pictures of my first armor attempt when it is done.

Jason
JMacKenzie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:00 AM UTC
One last thing, the entire model is together. The only things not attached are accessories.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:28 AM UTC
For primer, get yourself a can of cheap, plastic,spray acrylic for preference, grey. Spray the whole model (without the tracks) in a couple of light coats (allowing time to dry between coats. This will give you a nice 'keyed' surface to paint on. Because the primer is lighter than the final coat, it will give you the chance (when dry) to see any blemishes which may have to be removed and/or corrected....right someone else can go on with the painting....lol,Jim
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:06 AM UTC
For me I use Tamiya flat black as a primer as it can also be used as you preshade color ..Now mix yourself up some tamiya Olive drab I use at least 75% alchool to 25% paint ...I know what you're thinking but it works ...You then adjust your airbrush so that only a fine line of paint is allowed out ...Now take your sherman and slowly begin to fill in your panel lines ..going from the centre towards the edges of each panel ..try and leave a bit of the black around the edges just showing...After all this is done ...go back and add a bit of Tamiya's dark yellow and buff to your paint..Thin it again to the same consistency and go back over your kit panel by panel...leaving the first coat show thru in places ...I will usually do this one more time with more buff added..... By this time you can say that the base coat is done .. After that I paint all the tools wheels etc...And then it is on to the weathering ...
This is a long process but the effects of depth you can get will amaze you ...I just spent over 9 hours painting a tiny hetzer....And it is only on the base coats with no weathering done yet...Good luck if you try this I know it might be a bit much for the first attempt...If you want me to explain the weathering after you get this far I would be glad to help out ...

Rick
JMacKenzie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:35 AM UTC
Bear,

So you are pretty much just filling all the panal lines in with the olive drab? So what I should end up with is the black undercoat/primer showing through in the center of each panel correct? Is the yellow coat used to just dull down the black showing through?

When you say Alcohol, what kind os alcohol are you talking about?

To be honest I am a little confused about your description with the panels. Sorry about this but this is my very first attempt at airbrushing a model.
JMacKenzie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:40 AM UTC
After reading again it seems you mean to paint the center of the panels out with the olive drab leaving some blach showing through along the borders of each panel. This makes more sense.

When you say "buff to paint" what exactly do you mean?

Thanks for the help Bear.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:46 AM UTC
The OD will wash (or stain) the panels giving them more depth and density, this way the color will be gradually built up, leaving shaded recesses, they won't be exactly black, more darker shades of OD....Jim
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
Yeah you got it with your second answer ..You want the middle of your panels to be lighter....As for the dark yellow and buff they are both Tamiya colors that you add to the olive drab to lighten the shade (never lighten with white ) This should give you that worn look to your paint ...try it you'll like it ..Don't lighten too much at a time just want to show a little change in the colors...

Rick
don't hesitate to ask questions ...
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:11 PM UTC
If you can get your hands on some Model Master spray Olive Drab, that would work out for you great. THats what I use, int he spray can!

~Chip :-)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hi Chip ..sure the paint can will be faster but you can't get that faded look from a can. Sorry to say the only way is to build up the color bit by bit...

Rick
JMacKenzie
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
TheBear,

I have some Timaya arylic flat black which I would assume would work fine for a primer. My question is how do you mix it down and what consistency should it be? You mentioned thinning it with alcohol, what kind of alcohol?

Seriously this is my first attempt so any info is appreciated.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:06 AM UTC
I just use rubbing alchool it works fine ...(the kind you get at the pharmacy)....For the black thin it about 60 thinner 40 paint ...Spray away!!!

Rick
 _GOTOTOP