_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Close encounters...of the blurred kind!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC
Well, I just hooked up the Logitech webcam to see if I could take any decent pics of my models... You can guess how they turned out by looking at the title of this thread. I thought I could take some half-decent pics to post in a thread, but I guess not. I snapped some shots of my X-wing. If there's enough demand, I'd post a pic or too... but the pictures were awful! Totally blurry!
I guess the only reason I say this is to express my disappointment with the webcam. Is there any other way I can pics online without buying a digital camera, or waiting a week to get film developed? I can answer that myself: NO!
I really want to show off my workspace, such as it is, and share some pics...
Are there any good digital cameras out there for $150 or less? I'm thinking of getting one.
Thanks for reading my random ramblings!

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 04:18 AM UTC
Depends. When I bought my digital camera - I went through Home Shopping Network. I figured there must be some reason why the wife watches that stuff. Anyway, I got it, with four payments that wound up being just under $50 dollars a month.

That is an option that worked out for me quite well, and can make an expensive camera a little easier on the wallet...

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 04:34 AM UTC
Which camera do you have, Gunnie? I'd be willing to pay a bit more if it meant the camera would stay useful in the long run! That is, resolution is good, battery life acceptable, etc. My family got a digital camera when they first came out, but we weren't too impressed. Personnaly, I'd be willing to try another one. I want one that's good for closeups and general use, and that will be, uh how do I say this.. one that won't be obsolete in 6 months! Any suggestions? Thanks,

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC
I use the FujiFilm FinePix 1300 digital camera. It is a good all around camera, here's a link to a review/specifications:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F1300/F13A.HTM

Gunnie

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 10:51 AM UTC
Looks pretty nice. I think the camera I want should have a resolution of about 2 megapixels, a nice zoom feature, and the ability to take closeup shots. I'll look around and let you know what I find. The one I'd really like to have is that one from Canon that has the CD-R drive on the back. But, that's about $1300 out of my price range! (I think it sells for $1600...)

YodaMan
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 11:13 AM UTC
OfficeMax has some good buys on 2 meg pixel camers around here.

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OfficeMax has some good buys on 2 meg pixel camers around here.

Any you've had experince with? I'll probably wait till the weekend's over to go looking at difital cameras.... unless there's a really good sale.... and I'm feeling crazy.... (I don't like shopping in a crowd)

YodaMan
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 12:49 PM UTC
Sorry no. I'm starting to look for a new camera also. The things I look for are type of zoom ( optical vs. digital) the bigger the optical number the better. A macro ability, built in flash and non proprietary battiers. I have to look at memory type since I have several memory cards.

Here's a link to a review site Reviews

When in the store if the camera is dead ask the clerk to power it up so you can check it out.

Also think how you'll want to transfer you pictures out of your camera. I have a card reader plugged into a USB port and it works just like a hard drive.

You'll also need a good program to work with your pictures. I like Paintshop Pro.
Paintshop Pro or Corel Corel

Oh, one more thing, what format does the camera save pictures in? The one I have now saves to a proprietary format. This adds a step to working with the pictures. I have to convert them to jpg format from a cam format.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 01:29 AM UTC
Well... blurry photos no more!!!! :-) After a little research, and seeing it as the 'Special of the Day' on QVC, I got a digital camera! I ordered the FujiFilm FinePix 2800 Zoom on Monday (I think) and it came today! Got some rechargeable batteries with it too. Here's a link to a review: FinePix 2800 Review
I'll post a few pics as soon as I can get to it.

YodaMan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 02:12 AM UTC
Cool...looks like a nice camera. It has good macro focus so that will help for model photos.

Maybe I should set up some kind of area in the Library for camera reviews, etc. hmmm......

Jim
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
Yeah, the macro mode was a very important feature for me. There's a bunch of camera that I opted to not buy because the reviews of the macro weren't favorable. I've been taking some pictures of some stuff around the house and the color is very bright, accurate. I haven't noticed any 'noise' yet. I'll see about battery life. Thankfully, because I ordered it from QVC it came with 4 Ni-mh rechargeable batteries and the charger. :-)

YodaMan
 _GOTOTOP