_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Import tax or fee ?
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 154 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hi. I am curious to know if we, as US customers, have to pay any fee or import tax when buying model kits from oversea ( LuckyModel for example) and have them shipped to the United States. Thanks in advance.
Thanh.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 02:14 PM UTC
I believe that the custom's fees, if any, are covered in the shipping. The amount would be negligible for any order under $1k.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 03:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe that the custom's fees, if any, are covered in the shipping. The amount would be negligible for any order under $1k.

Lucky Model wouldn't be able to assess this and add it to the shipping cost, only US Customs could do this, and would be over and above what you would pay LM for the kit with the shipping.

While I don't know about US Custom fees for models, with Canada Customs, there are no customs fees, but you may have to pay the tax on it (depends on how Canada Customs is feeling that day when they view your package...pretty much a crap shoot at the best of times).
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 03:41 PM UTC
Ive bought things from overseas dozens of times and never yet seen an import duty.

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 05:54 AM UTC
I'd be surprised if the rules didn't apply to all imported goods, but for most individual purchases the sheer volume of packages arriving each day means that only a tiny fraction even get looked at and taxed. But for safety you should approach all overseas purchases as requiring payment of import duty so it doesn't come as a shock when they finally catch one of your packages. That way, each un-taxed arrival is kinda like a gift...

Tom
horsetank
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 76 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 10:27 AM UTC
no cause you are buying online so far we don't have to pay import fee, but I heard that's coming.
Remember this
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
 _GOTOTOP