_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Misglued PE on PE parts?? this could help
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:31 AM UTC
Ola People

I think everybody has it now and then when you glue tiny parts of PE on other PE parts (I`m talking about metal on metal) and you place the PE part wrong on the other. Now CA glue glues fast and quite tight. I have a radical method and most of you will know it this is more for the beginners then.
When you have placed a PE part on the wrong place and you want to get it off simply get a lighter and keep the PE part where it is glued in the flame. Hold it there until the glue around the joint sets fire to itself. this only takes around a second maybe two. then grab a needle or an exacto knife and gently tab against the misplaced piece and it will come off with no problem.
This sounds like a quite radical method but it will do no harm to the PE (no melting) and certainly not bending the pe parts when you tear them off with brute force. Another advantage is that the part is immediately cleaned from all the old glue parts. Rinse your parts with water let them dry and you can glue them on the correct place.

I repeat again this only works with metal on Metal So experimenting with metal on plastic is not on my account. I guess they will come off then too but you`ll have to spend more time on filling then

Hope this is of some use

Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC
Rob, that's a good method. I usually throw the misglued pice in a cup of acetone an it comes right apart and the excess glue comes off as well
FAUST
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:45 PM UTC
John

I think the Acetone would work well too I only don`t know how much time it take to dissolve the CA glue with the Lighter method it only takes a few seconds.

Golikell
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:29 PM UTC
If i't's PE to plastic or any other material, I use CA remover (works also fine for fingers, etc )
 _GOTOTOP