_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
wheel masks
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,063 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 01:52 PM UTC
I ran across a source which sells a stainless steel wheel mask set for German armor of multiple manufacturers. This set is made by Alliance Model Works, and try as I might, I could not find a product review on this set anywhere. The dealer says the set has been out for about a year now. The biggest drawback to using it is that you can only finish one wheel at a time. I'm hoping someone has used this set and can advise as to its' usefulness before I dip into my wallet (again).
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 08:03 AM UTC
Don't take this the wrong way at all but what's wrong with using masking tape it's quick easy and cheaper than dirt.save the money buy something useful
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
Save your money,I use a drafters template,it has more holes then I could use,after each use,I clean it up and it's ready to go agin
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Save your money,I use a drafters template,it has more holes then I could use,after each use,I clean it up and it's ready to go agin

Never considered that. I use a circle cutter, set to the wheels' inner diameter. Spray the rubber, mask, spray the wheel. It is time consuming, but I'm cheap.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 10:59 AM UTC
howdy

I go the way of the circle template.. you can them them at Michaels crafts stores or A.C. Moore they are pretty cheap and with a 40% off coupon even cheaper..

I first spray the wheel color then use the template to spray the inner wheel. Works great.

And here is a tip.. for those really small sizes such as 1/72nd kits or the pesky return rollers.. find a cheap plastic drill sizing gauge. Lots of very small holes for those small round things...

Delbert
mike_espo
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 05:57 AM UTC
How bout this:

First paint the wheel the camoflage color you want, then Use very thinned black/tire grey paint, touch with a fine brush over the demarcation line between wheel and tire, and then fill in the tire color.

Then weather.

Works great for me!

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 07:40 AM UTC
That's good for planes,but try with a Panzer IV or Panther,very tedious.
mike_espo
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's good for planes,but try with a Panzer IV or Panther,very tedious.

Here is my type 95 Ha Go 1/35 Fine Molds......same method.

firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 09:31 AM UTC
I too have tried a circle cutter to make a mask, just using plain A4 copy paper, only a few minutes to make and it worked fine. When doing camouflage colours, particularly WW2 German three colour etc., the tyres wouldn't have been taken off when the paint was applied, nor perfectly masked, if at all, so a little bit of overlap and messiness of the colours on to the black rubber is probably not inauthentic. I know there is a bit of a tendency among modellers to want certain things to look neat!

_GOTOTOP