_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
nikon d-90 help
dontknowhowyet
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 03:59 AM UTC
HI all i am building a photo box today in hope of better pics. my wife has a nikon d-90 any tips for this camera would be great THANKS
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

my wife has a nikon d-90 any tips for this camera would be great THANKS

Well, Rob, I hear that's a nice camera! I have a D40 which I believe is kind of the bottom of the range of those Nikon DSLRs (whisper: but much cheaper... )

I suspect the way they work is not disimilar however. This is what I do, and may be of some help, at least to get started.

1. Mount the camera on a vaguely decent tripod.
2. Put the mode setting dial thingy on to "M". This enables you to take control of things rather than allowing auto everything to take over.
3. Adjust the aperture (f-stop) until it is cranked right down to the smallest it can go. On mine that means F32, I'm guessing that's standard. This will give you the greatest depth of field and means as much of your model as possible will be in focus.

Because the aperture is right down small, you are going to need
4. A fairly decent light source, preferably one (or two) which you can direct at the subject from the same direction from which you are shooting in order to minimise visible shadow. I don't think you have to go overboard on the brightness though, because the other thing you need is...
5. A long exposure time; I just use the same light that I use for making the models with, and with the aperture closed down, I find I need at least 1 second, but you just need to try it out to see how it works in your set up etc. then adjust the exposure time up or down depending on if the photo comes out too dark or too bright.
6. Focus - to get the best out of your big depth of field setting, it's best to set the focus to manual, and then adjust it so that you are focussing some way behind the closest part of the model, perhaps at a point half way between the front most and back most parts of the model. Obviously if you auto-focus it will focus on whatever the sensor is pointing at, probably at the front. Again, try focussing at different depths until you get what you like.
7. Finally, keep the camera still - if you can't release the shutter without a bit of a jog, and don't have a remote control to do it, you could always use the timer. But with a long exposure you need the tripod.
8. Remember that with the detail the D90 will capture, with a higher resolution than my D40, you won't have to worry about getting in too close as you'll be able to crop images down to a particular detail, on your computer, and still have enough resolution for a decent photo.

I am definitely not an expert, but that is my experience with a kind of similar camera. Take your time and try various settings out. We expect to see some examples on here shortly!
dontknowhowyet
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 01:40 AM UTC
THANKS MUCH for takeing the time to reply i will let my wife read the info as she is the 1 takeing the pics i will post some pics using the photo box soon thanks again rob
 _GOTOTOP