Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
General Chuck Yeager F-16 Comments
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:41 PM UTC
Very interesting assessment of the F-16.

Quoted Text

The F-16 doesn't have the capability of surviving down low like an F-15 or F-111 did. Basically if you look at what happened in Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom most F-16s were used at high altitude or for combat air patrol. It is basically a relatively easy aircraft to fly, but I would take an F-15E over an F-16 any day.

...It doesn't have anything any other aeroplanes do better. Just like that there is a lot of propaganda on the F-16.

http://www.f-16.net/interviews_article35.html
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 01:51 PM UTC
Interesting read. I had thought the F-16 was used for a lot of ground support missions. I listened to a couple of pilots discussing the merits of the F-16, and some of what they said differs in opinion with Gen. Yeager.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 03:46 PM UTC
Chucky needs to do some research on what he is talking about, and stop trying to squeeze more money out of his supposed rights to companies using his X-1 likeness in places.

Quoted Text

The F-16 was the first computer flight control system aeroplane.

No it wasn't...

Quoted Text

Well the first computer flight controlled systems were put in an F-106 (General may mean F-8) back in 1965 -1968. Then basically the digital computer flight control system was put in the F-16A

That is only really a half truth, the first computer flight control system was developed by Avro Canada, for use in the CF-105 Avro Arrow, back well before the F-106 was even a thought. Once the Arrow program was cancelled, that technology and the engineers that designed it, took it south with them to companies like Lockheed, Convair, etc, etc.