_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Need help with adding gun straps
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 10:45 AM UTC
I know this question has been around in different form a lot, but how do you guys add the actual gun strap to your guns and where. Im mostly refering to WW2 guns by all sides. I have added straps before from several materials ...... but I want to know how to accurately do it. Any good tips on how to do this? All help appreciated
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
Hi Plasticbattle..

I use the foil from yogurt containers (the tops) cut into very thin strips. I use CA glue to fix them into position. Usually I cut the strip longer than what I will need, and attach one end. Then I bend it into position and glue the other end, and trim the excess with a shart #11 blade.

Then paint with oils (i use burnt umber) ... looks like leather.. I am by NO means a figure guy, but am happy with the results. These guys are "in-progress grenadiers" that I am going to add to a Kharkov dio when I get around to my PzKpfw IIIL... someday....

waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hi Plasticbattle, I make them the same way as jrnelson. Only I use the foil from around the tops of wine bottles. It's alot more fun than yogurt
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Only I use the foil from around the tops of wine bottles. It's alot more fun than yogurt

LOL.... Don, how right you are

All the wine I get has the screw top cap... you know, Boones Farm, Nitetrain, etc... I get the GOOD stuff. No fancy foil or corks for me :-)

Jeff
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:34 PM UTC
Wine bottel foil for me, too . Fold over a small amount at teh end before attaching the strap and it'll look more convincing. CA glue works. If you want, get some PE buckles for added appeal. The " where" depends on the gun. You'll need to check references to find out the attachment points for each weapon.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:32 PM UTC
I use regular white note paper. I have a number of sheets colored with marker as a base coat. to make the loops evenwithout the PE buckels I use regular ELmers glue stick, I too attach one end with CA glue and then Attach the when the first is dry. I cut the paper to width thiknes on a piece of glass I can get it real small and the paper osorbs the color and late paint real well

Josh Weingarten
IDF armour group
www.homestead.com/shiryon/index.html
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:45 PM UTC
I use strips of aluminum foil, doubled over. They are easy to shape, and paint well. I also use a small square of plastic strip to make buckles and clips....
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:53 PM UTC
Addition to all the above, i use the aluminium foil piece that seals the milk bottles under the plastic cup.its thicker and harder than the simple foil and works better , is more easy to cut in shape and also to place it.once given a shape does not play any more tricks.CA glue works fine there
 _GOTOTOP