_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Sprue Brothers Press Release...
CJ3B
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
entire network: 245 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 08:56 AM UTC
Interesting announcement from Sprue Brothers announcing the acquisition of Great Models... Interesting!

http://store.spruebrothers.com/articles/GMWPressRelease.htm

Liberty, MO March 12, 2012 - Sprue Brothers Models, LLC makes news again by acquiring Great Models Webstore and Douglas Models Distributors. Just last year Sprue Brothers expanded to a larger facility in Liberty, MO, to accommodate their continued growth.

Sprue Brothers was founded in 2004 to provide modelers with a quick and reliable source for quality model kits, related accessories and supplies.

Great Models was established by Loic Anthian in 1997 to serve the scale modeling community. His vision to bring models, accessories and books to hobbyists with one easy online computer search and point of purchase sale was a great success. In 2004, Great Models acquired Douglas Models Distributing (founded 1934).

Great Models/Douglas employs a workforce of 12 employees, and after 14 years in Sandy, Utah, Loic Anthian has decided to sell his operations to pursue other interests. He feels that his customers will continue to receive the level of service they have come to expect, by transferring their patronage over to Sprue Brothers Models.

The assets and inventory of Great Models and Douglas will be transferred to Sprue Brothers’ Liberty, Missouri facility.

For more information, contact Sprue Brothers Models LLC’s owner Gordon Kwan.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 10:45 AM UTC
Might be bad for competition and prices
DBManley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 43 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 11:14 AM UTC
Where are the antitrust laws when you need them?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 11:26 AM UTC
I don't see a problem. Sprue Brothers has a better website, better customer service, and better prices on many items. Being an online shop, there's still plenty of competition from shops around the world. Now they can expand into lines they previously did not have, and I don't see them raising prices just because Great Models is gone.
chefchris
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't see a problem. Sprue Brothers has a better website, better customer service, and better prices on many items. Being an online shop, there's still plenty of competition from shops around the world. Now they can expand into lines they previously did not have, and I don't see them raising prices just because Great Models is gone.

Agreed! I think it will be a win for the community. Sprue Bros. really has a nice operation all the way around.

Chris
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 12:04 PM UTC
The loss of options,even one can never be a good thing.
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 01:06 PM UTC
Wow, we do live in an age of buy-outs. I hope Sprues keeps the Gm online format as theirs pretty much sucks.
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 01:48 PM UTC
Crap! Living in Utah where Great Models is based, they have been my local hobby shop for some time. Monday thru Friday they let the public shop in the where house. This hurts......
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 02:19 PM UTC
I have to say I dont look forward to the pricing increase. I have done business with both companies, and Great Models was far less expensive than Sprue Brothers IMO, and I liked the GM website better too. Oh well...
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 02:40 PM UTC
I don't know. I like this, I mean Sprue bros ships super fast. The prices are about the same. kits are generaly cheaper at SB, and some of the after market is cheaper at GM, Anyway I am pretty stoked as maybe SB product lines will increase,meaning more for me to buy from them...
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 02:44 PM UTC
On the plus side, I imagine with the huge inventory at GM they will probably try to sell off as much as possible rather then ship it cross country. Look for some fire sales in the near future.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 02:58 PM UTC
I have used Sprue Bros in the past and find it a great Place to shop, Fast Shipping, Good Prices overall Great Customer Service. I am hopeful that this will continue.

My 2 cents worth,
milvehfan
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 04:21 PM UTC
Use SB for everything never had a problem highly recommended
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to say I dont look forward to the pricing increase. I have done business with both companies, and Great Models was far less expensive than Sprue Brothers IMO, and I liked the GM website better too. Oh well...

Agree…I shop Scale Hobbyist and Great Models. Sprue Brothers prices are $15- $20 or more on big named kits.

Joe
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 01:10 AM UTC
I quit shopping a GM back in 07 after meeting with the owner face to face. Was very rude almost to the point of telling me to go pound sand. Haven't even visited the website after that. If that is the way he was going to treat a customer to that I say good riddance...it cost him a customer and my business. However, I have shopped with SB many, many times over the years and have never had a bad experience.I wish Gordon the best of luck with this new endeavor as he moves his company forward. There are plenty of other retailers out there to provide competition. One need just look for them.
I do hope that SB continues with their excellent customer service and speedy shipping. Gotta love it when I order something Monday and have it in hand Wednesday. "Q"
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 01:47 AM UTC
I gotta say that lately the big sites for me have been a little disapointing.My last 5 kits,along with some AM stuff have been picked up on Ebay,not just old kits but new and recent releases.If you shop carefully there are buys to be had on Ebay,even with the shipping I have topped the site's prices in all the stuff that I have bought.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 03:58 PM UTC
I have been a loyal GM customer for about 10 years. Most of my kits are from there. I have NEVER had a problem with them and thier customer service is second to none. I love the prices and the sales are great. I have never bought from Sprue Brothers but from what i have seen on this thread they are a good company and one to be trusted. I will use them after the GM move to Missouri.

BTW...GreatModels is having a huge sale. I just got the DML Artilleriewagen w/tank crew (Orange Box) for $20.99 + shipping.

I am surely going to miss dealing with Greatmodels...but my wife will probably be VERRRRY Happy!

Jeff
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 06:41 PM UTC
I remember what happened when Squadron bought VLS, they eventually dropped production of all VLS's specialty lines and pretty soon Squadron was just Squadron again. No real difference in what they carried from before. I imagine this will be the same, we'll just lose another option to shop. I enjoyed dealing with Great Models, I got my stuff in two business days, I won't get that from Missouri. It also seems like they only carry 1 or 2 of many items (I was looking at their AFV Club selection, same with Dragon Figures and Masterbox. Dragon vehicles seem weird, 1 and two and then suddenly 48, It just seems as though they are a small operation.

I've looked at sprue's website, it seems kind of clunky and either they don't carry all that much or its just hard to find. Their prices usually seemed a little higher than Great Models or Squadron as well. Frankly I think that all that happened here was sprue bought their competition to drive them out of business. I don't see any way that this is a plus for us, the modelers. So I guess I'll have to find someone else to get my stuff from, probably back to Squadron.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC
Maybe some of you guys should actually read the News item, instead of speculating on what happened, or what is going to happen.

The owner of GM was tired of the operation and wanted to move on to something else. SB purchased said business. Whether SB did this or not, GM was going to be sold, or closed down, as the owner of GM didn't want to do it anymore. Whether SB bought it, or someone else bought it, makes no difference. SB has a nice new bigger warehouse, and will accommodate the different lines that GM carries that SB doesn't.

Hard to compare this acquisition to Squadron's acquisition of VLS, as VLS manufactured product as well as selling it retail. Yes Squadron dumped alot of that production, but it was also stuff that didn't sell all that well either. GM had no manufacturing that I know of, and I am sure there are "dead" lines that they carry that SB might not wish to continue with. It is all in the name of business and making money. If a line doesn't sell...there is no point in it taking up valuable shelf space in your warehouse.

Also there is an FAQ section on Sprue Bros to explain many other unanswered questions.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 04:34 AM UTC
Well said Scott and very accurate.
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe some of you guys should actually read the News item, instead of speculating on what happened, or what is going to happen.

The owner of GM was tired of the operation and wanted to move on to something else. SB purchased said business. Whether SB did this or not, GM was going to be sold, or closed down, as the owner of GM didn't want to do it anymore. Whether SB bought it, or someone else bought it, makes no difference. SB has a nice new bigger warehouse, and will accommodate the different lines that GM carries that SB doesn't.

Hard to compare this acquisition to Squadron's acquisition of VLS, as VLS manufactured product as well as selling it retail. Yes Squadron dumped alot of that production, but it was also stuff that didn't sell all that well either. GM had no manufacturing that I know of, and I am sure there are "dead" lines that they carry that SB might not wish to continue with. It is all in the name of business and making money. If a line doesn't sell...there is no point in it taking up valuable shelf space in your warehouse.

Also there is an FAQ section on Sprue Bros to explain many other unanswered questions.

I'll bet that in six months we see no different lines carried at SB than they carry now, nor any appreciable increase in stock levels. BTW, Squadron, in addition to dumping VLS's production, also stopped carrying many of VLS's lines. The loss of competition, whether voluntary or not is never good for the consumer, that is basic, simple economics. SB will liquidate GM and that will be the end. And of course they are acquiring GM's customer data base, which is probably what SB sees as the real value. I have a choice in who I deal with as do we all, I will be exercising that choice. Folks want to deal with SB fine, makes no difference to me, nor should where I do business matter to you.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 03:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'll bet that in six months we see no different lines carried at SB than they carry now, nor any appreciable increase in stock levels. BTW, Squadron, in addition to dumping VLS's production, also stopped carrying many of VLS's lines. The loss of competition, whether voluntary or not is never good for the consumer, that is basic, simple economics. SB will liquidate GM and that will be the end. And of course they are acquiring GM's customer data base, which is probably what SB sees as the real value. I have a choice in who I deal with as do we all, I will be exercising that choice. Folks want to deal with SB fine, makes no difference to me, nor should where I do business matter to you.

Nice to see that you aren't jumping to conclusions about this deal, you must have some inside information.

Of course I jest....

But you are jumping to conclusions as to what SB will do, frankly as I know Gordon at SB, I am sure that SB will expand the lines it carries, that being said, with the acquisition, I am sure Gordon is going to get the sales records for GM over the last few years at least, and compare that to the lines that GM carried, anything that was a slow mover, and/or didn't sell well, smart money is to dump it, as it takes up valuable shelf space in the warehouse that another line that sells better could be using.

That is the only smart way to do it in this line of business, and if I was in Gordon's shoes, I would be doing the same thing. If something doesn't sell and taking up shelf space, you mark it down and get rid of it, to recoup the shelf space so that another item that sells better can be brought in. Not rocket science, just Retail 101.

As far as Squadron....most of the VLS lines they got rid of were lines that VLS manufactured themselves, and were slow movers, again, Retail 101, if it doesn't sell...get rid of it.

As far as where you shop....makes no difference to me whether you choose SB, Squadron, wherever, but don't condemn SB for making a business decision that is good for everyone involved, especially since GM probably would have been sold to someone else if SB hadn't of bought it, or closed down. Frankly if it was being sold, I would rather see it go to someone that knows what they are doing (SB) rather than someone buying it and running it into the ground, or just closing out right. Fact of the matter, the owner of GM wants to move on to other endeavors, and decided to sell the business, and was the one to approach SB to buy it. Win Win situation for all.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as where you shop....makes no difference to me whether you choose SB, Squadron, wherever, but don't condemn SB for making a business decision that is good for everyone involved, especially since GM probably would have been sold to someone else if SB hadn't of bought it, or closed down. Frankly if it was being sold, I would rather see it go to someone that knows what they are doing (SB) rather than someone buying it and running it into the ground, or just closing out right. Fact of the matter, the owner of GM wants to move on to other endeavors, and decided to sell the business, and was the one to approach SB to buy it. Win Win situation for all.

Thank you Scott for being a voice of reason in the wilderness!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 05:11 AM UTC
I'm not against Spruebrothers acquiring Greatmodels.I'm just not happy with Greatmodels going out of business,been with them 10 years at least,and it hurts to loose a good supplier,and that is NOT good for customers.I use Spruebrothers from time to time,and will probably look at them more now,but I will miss Greatmodels.
usethermite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 252 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 08:18 AM UTC
I just got through dumping a load of money at GM. Couldn't help myself- 40% off. And, yes, I will miss them. My stuff would arrive in two days and before 3:30pm- when I head out for work. Never ordered from SB but will give a look-see. Pretty sure they can"t ship in two days, however
Happy Gluing, JT
 _GOTOTOP