History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
"They came in Peace"
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 11:45 PM UTC
I don't really know if this belongs in this forum or not. Just though tI would mention it ahead of time.
While sitting here reading all the posts I glanced down at the morning paper and the headline read "The human side of Beruit".
Then it hit me that this Thursday is Oct 23. The 20th anniversary of the Bombing. I am fortunate to be close enough to the Memorial here in Jacksonville to take an hour or two out of my time to go and show my respect to those families who lost so much that day. I figure it is the least I can do for my fallen bretherin (being a former Marine myself).
Most of all though, it may have been called the Marine Barracks in the press but if you look at the wall of names on there you will see all five services were in that building that day.
For those who want to see the Memorial but are too far away to get here I also found this link in the article and I must say it is outstanding if you want to check it out.

http://www.beirut-documentary.org/index.html

Once again thanks for your time and and if this is in the wrong forum I apologize

Paul
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 02:14 PM UTC
Paul--- Wow! Powerful reminder of tragedy and yet heroics. Being there in spirit does me good.
thanks for the reminder.
DJ
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 04:27 PM UTC
No i did not forget, i lost a good friend there. On my service Plague i list all the events that was happen since i first join the service 30 years ago. This is one of them.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 04:50 PM UTC
I wonder how many people actually still remember that event? I bet that most Americans have forgotten it even happened. Thats the sad part.

~Chip
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:53 PM UTC
I bet more people remember than you would think. It just isn't covered as much as say
9-11 due to the fact that.
1. It happened on Foriegn shores and not in the US
2. It was a military target and very many civilians were killed or injured.
3. The war on terrorism was either non existant or not in the forefront as it is today.
They are saying that this attack was the first major attack against the US in the war on terrorism. If that is true or not I don't know and people can probably have very candid discussions on that subject.
But going with the theory that it was the first attack. Aren't theses attacks the ones that people remember the most. I.E. Pearl Harbor.
Why the press pushes this one to the back i have no idea. Waiting to see if the History Channel will run something on it being that it has been twenty years tomorrow.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 05:42 PM UTC
I have a friend that was lucky to survive the event. He didn't forget about it