_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Display Cases / Shelves
ryanr113
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 03:58 PM UTC
Anyone know of any good websites or places out there that produce good display cases for model aircraft and armor? I really don't have a place to display my finished models. When I finish building a model I typically put it right back in the empty box and stash it away in my closet where it won't get disturbed or broken by my kids. Any help where I can acquire a display case that is heavy duty and large would be great. Almost similiar to like what they have in the department stores. My largest model is a 1/35 scale Trumpeter MI-8MT/MI-17 HIP Helicopter and its rotor blade span is huge. I have the rotor blades detached away from the main body for now since I fear of breaking them off if I am not careful. I would love to have my completed models displayed since a lot of friends and family never get to see what I have built in person except for what they see in photos I show them. Any ideas or photos of what you guys do to display your completed models would be appreciated. Thanks.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hey Ryan- I know there are a few guys on here (including me) who use a relatively inexpensive cabinet from Ikea, the DETOLF:

Its not bad- each shelf will hold something about the size of a 1/48 Tomcat. That might be a bit small for what you are looking for. I do know that there are guys/companys out there who make custom cabinets- they sometimes advertise in model mags, someone here might even know one or two close to you in the States.

Hope this helps a bit.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 11:42 PM UTC
Ryan,

I'm not sure if you are looking for big cases like above or small individual cases, but this conmpany is very good. They produce an excellent product, custom sizes and ship fast. I have used them several times.

http://www.casesforcollectibles.com/

Dave
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 01:21 AM UTC
I like www.gemodisplays.com

a good product,a little pricey,great people and service
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 05:36 AM UTC
Ryan, not sure if you have a Hobby Lobby near you, but they have a great selection of clear display cases that are very inexpensive (especially if you have one of there 40% coupons). They are also stackable which is very nice. They range in size to fit 1/35 armor.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/search/default.aspx?CFID=8239149&CFTOKEN=67f7705bf49de6af-EE356F75-0077-004C-015AA6197E10182E&searchTerm=display+case
Janglais
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 16 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 12:22 PM UTC
That Ikea DETOLF actually looks quite good...

From the Australian Ikea Website:-

Width: 43 cm
Depth: 37 cm
Height: 163 cm
Max. load/shelf: 6 kg
Cost: AUD $149.00

Might look into getting a couple of these.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 12:53 PM UTC
If you're looking for something a little larger, try and see whether you can find a store that's going out of business. Sometimes they'll sell their display fixtures.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you're looking for something a little larger, try and see whether you can find a store that's going out of business. Sometimes they'll sell their display fixtures.

there is a LHS near me that has something like this. the hobby store itself is insanely overpriced and their products are outdated, but they sell alot of old toys and used items. they had 4 8-shelved barrister bookcases for 100$ each. unfortunately, they sold before i could get one
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 09:39 PM UTC
I manufacture individual bespoke glass display cases.
Very recent innovation on my part which is why mostUK modellers won't have heard yet, apart from the ones who have seen me at recent shows.

Nige

Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 03:12 PM UTC
I'd keep my eyes open on Craigslist and also retailers that are going out of business. I cleaned out a salvation Army store that was closing. Cost me less than $500 for 8 display 6'cases with lights. I had to drop another $50 or so in materials to rewire them, but it was worth it as all of them are now lighted on a single switch. Craigslist is probably your best bet to find them cheap..or at least more affordable than buying something from a dedicated case manufacturer. Hope this helps. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP