_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Alumilite casting demo
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hey Modelers,

I'm going to an alumilite casting demo tomorrow. Will report back. Have seen a demo before, but a brief one. Alumilite.com if you're curious.
I know you can cast color and/or metallics to the copies. We'll see. I try everything, but I am slow. Will let you know.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
blackfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hey Sealhead,

Looking forward to your post(s). I have been looking to find out which casting product is the best and most user friendly, producing the best results.

Cheers!
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 04:46 PM UTC
I like Alumilite. I have casted with it before. It works pretty good and it is fast. Just make sure you have some mold release agent. Things could get real sticky without!

~Chip :-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 08:13 PM UTC
We look forward to your "report" !
I don't think the brand is available in Europe. I assume it is PolyUrethane RTV resin ?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:52 PM UTC
I use Alumilite and love it, but I have never found the need for Mold Release when working with RTV Silicone... it has a slight "oily" surface that never dries out, and Resin just pops right out!
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:50 AM UTC
Howdy,
I went to the demo for two hours. The fellow doing the demo was great. He is a retired government psychologist, making him suitably nuts for this hobby. He was very patient and helpful. I managed to cosecure one of the two available samples of Alumilite and bought some Alumilite quick-set RTV for molds.
Here is what I learned.

1. Their website Alumilite.com is very helpful.
2. The demo fellow prefers a different mold release called Price-Driscoll ULTRA II. It is non-toxic, non-CFC, non-VOC, non-flammable, non-combustible and contains no chlorinated solvents. The particular one he used is called Polyester Parfilm, paintable mold release. It may be $7 or $8 a can, but I have already tried it and like it.
3. If you call the Price-Dricoll people, they talk case prices, but will sell individual cans. He gave me his mostly full can, beause they sent him 6 cases FREE, because he gives these demos all the time.
4. He had the "B" side of the Alumilite on ice to slow the process and he had the molds on a hotplate to warm them, to also slow the process.
5. He didn't mess with vent holes or anything.
6. Clever. He recommended round mold walls like pvc pipe or the top of a large Tide bottle, because there is no need to waste mold material in corners.
7. His molds ofter were cut and held together with rubber bands to facilitate removal of copies. I saw this when I got a tour of Plus Models in the Czech Republic.
8. I bought and used the Alumilite Quickset RTV. I had to buy something at the hobby store as they were so nice. It was everything advertised. Easy. Quick (like 4 hours to completely cure) and expensive at $30 for a pound. I used it up making molds for an open and closed 1/35th 55 gallon drums, a few packs and rolls, and some other odds and ends.
9. I used legos for my walls and hot melt glue to secure the lego molds to some styrene.
10. They have a reusable clay that can be used for the joint between the walls and base of the mold. Whatever you do, do this in aluminum throwaway pan or something, so if you have a leak, you do not have a rubberized work area.
11. The mold seemed to come out fine. I did spray the legos and base with the release first.
12. Then, I mixed the A and B Alumilite regular (as opposed to their slow set) and poured, set up (fast as I didn't cool the "B" or heat the mold.
13. Then I used the Micro-Mark resin the same way.
14. Other than the color variation, I didn't see much detail or quality difference.
15. But, Alumilite sets up so fast, like 6 minutes instead of 6 hours, you can make many more copies faster.
16. Also, pretty cool, you can paint the mold (after spraying the mold release) with metallic powder from Alumilite or others, or even acrylic paint, and darned if the powder or paint doesn't bond to the copy. They also have colored products from different flesh tones to clear.
17. One mold of wine bottles didn't work. Neither the Alumilite or the Micro-Mark stuff was thin enough and/or strong enough to go down the small diameter holes and make a good copy.
18. The demo fellow sprays the release on pieces of glass and slides them over the top of the mold after pouring to give him a flat base for the copy without having as much material to remove later.
19. TIP. How much do you need to mix for your project? Get a clear container with close marked lines for grams or some unit of measure. Add water until you are at a line. Add your masters to see how much water you displace and you will know how much to mix.
20. As always, have some molds of things you can't have enough of, sprayed with release, for any extra material you choose to mix or just have extra.
21. The Alumilite starts to turn whiteish when the reaction is getting close to setting up. You can have some fun pouring it out slowly when it is setting up and ending up with the cup suspended on a stream of set-up resin.
22. Shelf life unopened is about a year or longer. Opened, it is about a year or less. Be careful of mold or resin products as they really do have a shelf life.
23. The demo fellow made a series of semi-hard black rubber tires for large scale cars. He makes metallic spoked wheels for them and sells them on ebay as fast as he can make them.
24. TIP. He buys a case of small graduated, clear cups from his pharmacy like $7 for several hundred or so. He does use a accurate gram scale. He pours the "B" into the "A" in a 3 ounce dixie cup and mixes (quickly). He likes the dixie cups because he can squeeze a pour spout in it for accurate pouring.

Hope this helps fellow modelers, as Armorama has helped me tons.

Sealhead (Kansas sunflower)
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
Sorry, I forgot a tip. Using mold release can give you twice the number of copies from the mold than without. The demo fellow said you can get as many as 100 copies from a mold using mold release. Mold release is cheaper than mold material, so for many copies, mold release is worth it.

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

24. TIP. He buys a case of small graduated, clear cups from his pharmacy like $7 for several hundred or so. He does use a accurate gram scale.

I've got some of these Available in packages of 100 They are reuseable.

The Alumilite is great stuff. Hint........Wine bottles need a hole in the bottom to "vent" some of the resin I put my mold over a cup to catch the resin that drips out.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, I forgot a tip. Using mold release can give you twice the number of copies from the mold than without. The demo fellow said you can get as many as 100 copies from a mold using mold release. Mold release is cheaper than mold material, so for many copies, mold release is worth it.

Agreed! I learned this the hard & wasteful way...

Thanks Sealhead for posting the report in this thread - good stuff. I wish I had had access to this information when I first started using the product. T&E can get expensive.

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP