_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
LF Donations for a VA hobby program
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 03:41 AM UTC
I am helping to set up a hobby program at our local VA (Jonathan M. Wainwright) and am looking for some donations of kits, tools and hobby related magazines that you might be looking to part with.
Our hope is to have a dedicated space for veterans, (first in the mental health program, and then for as many as want to participate) to learn to build plastic model kits, detail them and photograph their work. Our hope is that much like meditation, it will help those with PTSD and other combat related injuries to refocus and quiet their mind.
I have found in the past year that building has helped me greatly, and having this site has made it even more enjoyable.
If there is anything that you are willing to donate to our program, please contact me by PM. Thank you.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 10:25 AM UTC
Update;
We have received several sets of cutters from a generous donation from Xuron Corp (THANK YOU!!). Great Models/Douglas has graciously provided some hobby magazines to start up our reference library. John Ross has gone above and beyond with his donation of several DML tank kits (thank you so much). Our local college book store has donated some art supplies, oil paints, masking materials, paper and vellum for the photo booth set up, and some plastic tool boxes to use too. We are still happy to receive ANY donations of tools, reference materials (books and magazines) and any kits that you might not want or know that you will never build, even partially built ones are great!

Thank you so much to all of those that have given and if you can or want to donate, please send me a PM or email at [email protected].
Cheers.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 03:07 PM UTC
Hey Damon,
I missed this post back in March, glad I found it now. I can spare a few items for our vets. PM incoming !

milvehfan
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hi,
A Dragon kit and 2 books on its way.
3 Cheers for our Vets !

milvehfan
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 03:14 PM UTC
Thank you milvehfan every thing is super appreciated. Will let you know when it arrives. Cheers
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 08:33 AM UTC
If any of you are interested in donating items, but are hesitant to feel free to contact the Walla Walla VA (Johnathan M. Wainwright) and ask for Derek Reser or Larry Werst. They can confirm what we are doing and answer any questions that you might have. Old kits are welcome, especially things like old airfix or matchbox kits from the 70's and 80's as well as old monogram and revell. Looking for armor, ships and aircraft and even cars and trucks. Reference material, old magazines and books are also very welcome too as are old cutters, nippers, files, tweezers and any other tool you might have out grown. We are building this thing from the ground up and have received several donations (thank you all) but still are missing a few items. Thank you in advance and please feel free to contact me with any questions. Cheers.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 05:50 PM UTC
We got the green light from the VA safety officer today for our spray booth so we should be up and running in a few weeks. We are still looking for any reference material, books and magazines alike. Also, tweezer sets and needle file sets. We could use 5 of each set. Cheers
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 10:40 AM UTC
For those of you that want to give something, but maybe do not have much to give or anything tangible here is a link to a current "funding site" that I put up.
We were hoping that the local Home Depot and Wal Mart would be able to get us a compressor and some hobby mats and such, but so far only HD has come up with a $50 gift card to use toward the purchase of a compressor.

If you would like to donate here is the link:

http://igg.me/p/98618?a=567189

and thank you. Cheers.
 _GOTOTOP