_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Zimmerit and tools...when?
JNYE56
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 05:54 AM UTC
Hey guys,
Im working on a Dragon Elefant and before I put the zimmerit on, I am curious as to when others put the small parts like tools, tool boxes, track links, or hooks... basicaly any little parts that have a specific place to go on the tank.
Especially ones that have a little hole or mark to put them in.
Do you put them on and work around them with the zimm or do the zimm and then put them on? if so, put them on before the putty dries or after?

Im sure this has been covered before a million times but after a search for it all I found was what to use and how to apply the zimmerit.

Thanks all!

-Jesse
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 11:03 PM UTC
Jesse,

The real thing was cured with a blowtorch, so any tools were removed beforehand! That means the pattern should continue underneath removable parts like the shovel handle - something you'll struggle with if you glue tools in place first. I'm no expert at applying Zimm, but I'd consider cutting small bits of thin Evergreen plastic (say 0.020" thick) to glue to the hull as mounting pads wherever the tool brackets touch the hull. Then Zimm away arround these pads, scraping them clean afterwards so the tools can be glued to them. That way you don't need to scratch outlines into the hull to avoid with the paste...

Tom
 _GOTOTOP