History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Writing a Comprehensive History of the SS
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 01:04 PM UTC
This is open to all facts. I do actually use correct grammar, when I need to. Spelling is also quite good. But, on to the book. I intend to write a comprehensive history of the SS, beginning at its formation as condoned by Pope Pias II to the Nurnberg(Nuremberg) Trials. I will be covering only the facts, not opinions. I have found several people on this site that exhibit a keen knowledge of the SS. I am asking for all the facts that you, site members can provide. It is essential that we do not debate the philosophies, politics, or moral justifications of the SS; excepting those that debate the factual philosophies, etc. Also, I am seeking book recomendations for further study.
If published, I will see to it that all those who contribute facts are listed in the sources section and that they will receive a free copy of the book, if so desired.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 01:44 PM UTC
Michael Reynolds has some great books on the history of SS armored formations. I would sell you my hardback books by him or trade.
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 03:19 PM UTC
I wish you well, Matt. It's not an easy subject to research. After 5 years, my Day-By-Day history of WW 2 has been a never ending process.

I would make one suggestion: Make sure you include plenty of good maps and provide comprehensive indexing and cross referencing.
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 03:49 PM UTC
Hello Matt,
I would think that you should read Albert Speer's book on the SS, I belive it is called the Hidden Empire. It is the 3rd one he wrote.
I am willing to help you with any of the books in my Library. I have about 300 book on the SS and the Waffen-SS.
Just let me know what you will need,
Cheers,
Bruce
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 07:12 PM UTC
Thank you for all of the quick replies.
Brent: PM inbound

Steve: I estimate the book to be around 200 pages. I will cut down on the information by going light on company details.

Bruce: I'm sure I will have several questions.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 08:35 AM UTC
im actually working on a book review for stackpole books about the SS called "surrender invites death". its a following of the canadians and their operations, mostly. But, it goes over all facets of the SS whether soldiers or tank units.

would probably be a very good reference for you if you read it
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

im actually working on a book review for stackpole books about the SS called "surrender invites death". its a following of the canadians and their operations, mostly. But, it goes over all facets of the SS whether soldiers or tank units.

would probably be a very good reference for you if you read it

I review books for Stackpole, as well. I'll see if they can send me one on the SS.
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 967 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 09:46 AM UTC
I have quite a few books on 5 th SS Pnz Div Wiking. Alot of info to fit into 200 pages. Is the Book on just the Waffen SS or the Whole SS ?Just moved so all box's away at mo I'll start getting them out. So many box's of books . Ive got alot on the European SS units Wiking, Nordland,Wallonien,Chalemagne etc. Ask away when you want any info. Give me a while to think of some good books to start with, so many good writers on the SS. Also Alot of books writen by ex members.One old book thats quite compact and easy reading is Waffen SS at war A J Barker 1st published 1982 By the Book Club London Again what do you want out of this, your book. Sometimes I find some of the older books to have info that seams to get lost in newer books, maybe? hope to help Geraint
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
Wow,thats going to be quite an undertaking,I wouldn't even know where to begin,good luck.But give me some insight,what will make your book stand out from the plethora of books already written on the subject ? Why will someone want to buy yours ? Are you doing this more for your own satifaction,rather then how many copies you might sell ?

Please understand that I ask these questions to understand your motivation,not in a combative way.If you ever get published I would definitly like to have a look.I have a neighbor,Michael Yesenko who has written a few books on Washington's Campaigns,it's cool to actually know someone who is an author
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 08:59 PM UTC
Hello Matt,
You might want to make it into a series of books such as:
The SS the Early Years 1923-1929 ( 1929 is when Himmler took over)
The SS Rising Power 1929-1934 (Night of the Long knifes)
The SS War with the German Army 1933-1939
and so on.
I do have a fairly good boob on the subject called the SS 1023-1945 World War 2 Data book By Chris McNab. I would suggest you get it.
I am open to help you in any way and my cousin Miss Mary is a published Author/Editor and can help also if you need her to do so.
Cheers,
Bruce
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 10:58 PM UTC
I will be covering all facets of the SS. Breaking it up into a series is a good idea. I'm doing this more for my own satisfaction, as well as increasing my own understanding of the SS.
grayghost666
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 01:28 AM UTC
Hello Matt,
I figure if you made each book about 150 to 200 pages with photo's with the text it will be a hit.
I have a few books on fighting tactics and equipment of the Waffle-SS that has loads of photo's. I will start getting my research librarian going over what the National Archives in D.C. has and other archives in Europe has available
Let me know what you are looking for in the photo's,
Cheers,
Bruce
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 08:20 AM UTC
Interesting interesting. I'm currently also in the research for a book. Not about the SS though. And I can tell you also from other research projects for model projects and stuff for work that sometimes it can take a ridiculous long time to get all the stuff right. And I echo what Bruce said. Pictures are definately a big selling point. I plan to have most of the pictures in my book to be pics that I own. Expensive yes but at least you are pretty much out of the woods when it comes to copyrights. And it is fun to hunt them down. Are you going to do the design yourself?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 02:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting interesting. I'm currently also in the research for a book. Not about the SS though. And I can tell you also from other research projects for model projects and stuff for work that sometimes it can take a ridiculous long time to get all the stuff right. And I echo what Bruce said. Pictures are definately a big selling point. I plan to have most of the pictures in my book to be pics that I own. Expensive yes but at least you are pretty much out of the woods when it comes to copyrights. And it is fun to hunt them down. Are you going to do the design yourself?

I probably will do the design myself. I intend to publish the book for free, online if nobody picks it up. I have a bad feeling that I will be crediting most of the photos(already feel my wallet getting lighter).
grayghost666
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 06:42 PM UTC
Hello Matt,
Miss Mary ask if you have a Kindle. If so there is a free E-book that will help you self-publish for E-books on the Kindle.
You also might want to look at 2 sites that publish E-books:
Smashwords ( for the kindle E-Books) and CreatSpace that also helps you do E- books.
On the National Archives you can use the photo's with permission and credit as I have used them in some of my work.
The biggest problem is finding what you need in the 100's of thousands of photo's in the archives. You might want to hire a good researcher to go over all of the photo's. Just a thought.
If I can help with my staff of Librarians ( I have 4 full time) please let me know.
Cheers,
Bruce
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 967 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 11:31 PM UTC
Hi Matt. I think this is a great read thats gives you a great view of the workings of the SS. Its called The SS Alibi of a nation by Gerald Reitlinger check it out on E bay The reviews give you a good insight. Geraint
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I probably will do the design myself. I intend to publish the book for free, online if nobody picks it up. I have a bad feeling that I will be crediting most of the photos(already feel my wallet getting lighter).

Ok cool. Got any background in Graphic design? The more you do yourself the more money you save in the end. I'm also doing the design myself. In which my profession will help me a lot being an Art Director by trade. As for crediting. It depends a bit on what kind of deals you can strike with third parties. I have a few things about the subject of my book that I don't have in my private collection and I know people who have and are more then willing to help me out.
I have several lines hanging out to archives and companies to get all my info correct. It is a fun journey of which I have no clue where it ends (or what it will cost) but as long as you don't try it you will never find out
highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 09:35 PM UTC
I sugest you check out the following forums. The both have many links to imformative sites,discussions of books, and knowledgable members posting in their forums.

World War 2 Forums

http://www.ww2f.com/

Axis History Forum

http://forum.axishistory.com/