_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Figure Comments
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:44 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

At last I finished painting the figures included in the King Tiger that I was doing a long way back (hmmm....very long way back). I am posting some of the pics for your comments...

Thanks.

Some of the pics are a bit blurry. There is actually no dio yet, I just scattered some of the soil in my wife's pot as ground work. I used my shirt as background....improvise....

Thanks
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:24 PM UTC
Looks good despite the blurry pix! What really caught my eye was the skin tone - which is very realistic indeed. The uniforms however are glossy, but I reckon you do know this already and will rectify that once you're really done.

OT - the tree looks better now - and very realistic (I like the foliage - spices e.g. parsley and others?)

If I would build this diorama with the same set of figures, I'd put the soldier with the bike at the front of the Konigs Tiger and his face would be that of horrific shock - hehehehe! His arm position is just right, while the hand would be shifted in a wide-open position, while the tank crew totally do not have any inkling on the impending death of the soldier on the motorcycle due to the bulk of the tank and the noise of its engine, which has drowned out beyond the hearing range the last dying horrific screams of the soldier with his motorcycle. (such a scene would perhaps launch many a viewer to a jolly laugh at the morbidly humorous scene)

BTW, I forgot to add, the TC on the phone (field telephone? vehicle intercom? radio?) - is this a wireless device? If not, don't forget to add the cord.
rysorne
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 115 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:39 PM UTC
Nice comoflauge, but quite glossy for the uniforms and skin tone is fantastic, I hope you can enlarge the pics of the face.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:43 PM UTC
Just like GI said, the uniforms are a little bit glossy but ain't a problem. Just spray a matt finish and you're done. The skin tone is nicely done. As for the eyes, I can't see 'em well because of the blurry pic. Overall, it is a nice work of art.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:11 AM UTC
Guys,

Yup, you guys are right the tank commander and orderly on the bike is glossy because I used tamiya x-18 semi-gloss black (as specified), I think they were supposed to be wearing black leather tunics/coats w/c is common among SS men, I'll try to tone down the gloss. Thank for pointing that out. The one wearing the camo is really glossy, I need to fix that...hmmm...I actually did fix that after I took the pics....try to post it again.

GI: The head phone on the tank commnder is not for communication but rather as ear protection from the noise , ala ear muff....I looked at photos of some tank commanders in ww-ii and indeed some of those ear protections do not have cords -- I'll check again.
What a morbid dio suggestion GI...but, I'll consider that...

Jomz: I added a few more pics of the face

Thanks very much for the inputs...it alway helps......

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:30 AM UTC
Hot diggy-di-dooo-dang! Now THAT'S a face! With the better pictures, I can see just how damn good the face is! Fantastic! I reckon you used oils on the face, right? Fine blending!

I see, so it's ear muffs, not a phone or something. :-) With regard to gloss, although it be leather, I think it won't be that glossy. If they did get wet, and the coat would be relatively new, it'd be glossy, but in battlefield conditions, things tend to get all dustied-up and glossy surfaces get dulled down. I dunno how much damage a flat overspray would do to the face, but to be sure, may I suggest you cover the faces with tissue or something when you do spray everything with a flat coat - the flat coat might probably destroy the subtle shading on the face, so I'd cover it when I overspray the figures.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:32 PM UTC
GI: Ang aga mong mag-sign-in ah....

You are right, I used oil on the face and on the uniform, thus increasing the gloss generated by tamiya x-18. I'd better tone it down to make it look more realistic. I'll take your advise regarding masking the face for the matt finish..hmmm. I'll try first to tone down the gloss using a wash of pastel...tamad akong mag-spray....it that does not work then...no choice spray....

BTW, have you tried using the gunze clear flat...i'd like use it for the matt finish?

Thanks

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:46 PM UTC
I'm on leave. Supposed to be studying for my finals tomorrow and Sunday (that's right BISIGI, study for finals not posting around at Armo--- ACK! GAK! GIT YER HANDS OFF ME THROAT BISIGI! ACK!)

*BAM* *CRUNCH* *SLAM*

Ok, where was I, oh yes (now that goody-goody two-shoes GIBeregovoy is locked safely in the freezer)... ahem...

Yeah, I've used Gunze clear - both the small can and the Super Clear coat can (which is the bigger one). It's ok but the best I've used so far was Model Master's Flat Clear. The last times I've used Gunze clear coats resulted to "serious discoloration issues" with the model (like, when the base paint is black but after spraying your model with clear coat then leaving it behind only to come back to see it colored WHITE!). Flat clear coats are very temperamental in my experience. Our tropical climate is NOT a good helper in our hobby. I hear the white "frosting" is a result of the clear coat being sprayed in a high humidity environment. Also, it could be a case of not shaking the can too much. Or a case of spraying too close (or too far - I'm still experimenting with a variety of distance, speed control, etc). It's been a hit-and-miss for me ever since I switched to Gunze clear coats (Model Master clear coats aren't available here anymore... sigh...). IIRC, Crismag uses a different flat clear, one available at NBS' art section or in the hardware. AFAIK, it comes in a bigger can than Gunze's (as big as Pylox spray cans I think). I haven't tried that, but you may want to ask Cris on that one.
 _GOTOTOP