Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Pet Peeve of the Day
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 06:27 AM UTC
Ok, this irks me! When somebody on Ebay puts an item up for sale at super low price, but tries to recoup the money through shipping.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-35-Tamiya-German-Soldiers-Rest-/230744983204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item35b97906a4#ht_500wt_1202

Shipping on that item should be half, I know because I also sell on Ebay. And if I have over quoted for shipping, I will refund the buyer.

If they want more then 99 cents, then sell it more, but be true with your shipping.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 07:09 AM UTC

I hear you on that. I especially dislike reserve prices. If you want to sell it for more, just make the starting bid higher.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, this irks me! When somebody on Ebay puts an item up for sale at super low price, but tries to recoup the money through shipping.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-35-Tamiya-German-Soldiers-Rest-/230744983204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item35b97906a4#ht_500wt_1202

Shipping on that item should be half, I know because I also sell on Ebay. And if I have over quoted for shipping, I will refund the buyer.

If they want more then 99 cents, then sell it more, but be true with your shipping.

Yep true enough, I got caught out a few times by that ploy. I now do "List by Price + Postage".

Correct me if I am wrong but does it work that eBay's cut of you sale price doesn't include the shipping amount? So what the seller is trying to do is lessen the amount they have to give to eBay.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Correct me if I am wrong but does it work that eBay's cut of you sale price doesn't include the shipping amount? So what the seller is trying to do is lessen the amount they have to give to eBay.

Did not think of that, but that is true, Ebay only get a cut of the final sale, not Shipping charges. But then again, PayPay, takes a cut of it all. So either way they are getting their money.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yep true enough, I got caught out a few times by that ploy. I now do "List by Price + Postage".

I've seen shipping on a 1/35 kit up to $70USD. I don't think they can pass that off as getting around the low percentage ebay charges.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 12:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've seen shipping on a 1/35 kit up to $70USD. I don't think they can pass that off as getting around the low percentage ebay charges.

Well if it isn't the actual postage what else could it be?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Profit for the seller.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Profit for the seller.

Which is exactly what I am saying.

The profit margin is nominated as part of the postage to avoid reduction in profit, so why make the comment that they "can't pass that off as getting around the low percentage eBay charges" ? when that is exactly what they are doing.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 01:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Profit for the seller.

The profit margin is nominated as part of the postage to avoid reduction in profit, so why make the comment that they "can't pass that off as getting around the low percentage eBay charges" ? when that is exactly what they are doing.

$70 for a single kit is extremely high. I can ship a kit to Hong Kong for $40. This means they are making a profit off of the handling charge. Instead of paying say $20 for a kit, you would be paying $50 for it and $15 for the shipping cost.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Profit for the seller.

$70 for a single kit is extremely high. I can ship a kit to Hong Kong for $40. This means they are making a profit off of the handling charge. Instead of paying say $20 for a kit, you would be paying $50 for it and $15 for the shipping cost.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 03:17 AM UTC
I would never bid on Ebay without knowing the postage costs. Before bidding, I add the current price and postage as one total and comapre that price ... doesn´t really matter where the money goes, or gets it ... its the price that I have to pay that counts. No point thinking you´ve got a barhin price when you have to pay way over the odds for P&P
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 01:01 PM UTC
What Frank just said. I would never bid on that item since it would not calculate shipping to my ZIP code and requestedI contact the seller. When I'v sold stuff on Ebay, I've included a fair shipping allowing for some overhead.

On a related note about prices, I've seen books on Amazon whose price can range from, no kidding here, 1 cent plus $3.99 shipping to over a hundred dollars. This was for a book of bike rides in my area. It originally sold for well under $10. There is currently the Osprey Stryker book, which is still in print at about $18 full retail ranging from under $10 used to $61 new.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 01:11 PM UTC
That's how I figure it too. My total out is what I think it's worth or not.Shop,shop,shop.