Local, Regional, or International.
Imperial War Museum, Duxford.
Banditt
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi not sure if this is the correct section but has anyone been? it looks amazing and it would ghive some great build ideas.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

sorry if links are not allowed.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 01:39 AM UTC
Matty,

Depending on your interests, it's a great museum. The bulk of it is aircraft, but there is also a reasonable vehicle collection in its own building. There is a lot of walking involved, and if you want to see everything you're in for a very long day!

My personal favourite is the SR71 Blackbird - hard to believe something so elegant and fast was designed with nothing more than a slide-rule...

Tom
Banditt
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 06:33 AM UTC
barkingdigger thanks for the reply. the main reason for the trip would be the aircraft.
It abit of a treck for me so wanted to make sure it would be worth it.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 11:41 AM UTC
Matty,

You'll love it - but make sure you have lots of space on your camera's card! There are several very large hangars of aircraft on display, covering a very wide range of subjects. You can walk through one of the prototype Concordes as well as several other aircraft, see the TSR2, and indeed actually touch the Blackbird. Then there's the workshops...

My one tip is to pick a day with decent weather, as there's a lot of outside walking just getting between buildings. I know they serve some food, but usually I bring my own. Still, the collection is impressive. Just avoid airshow dates, because there's no point travelling all that way only to have crowds between you and the exhibits you want to photograph.

If it's a long journey you might want to drive down and stop overnight so as to have a whole day in the museum. And if you are in the area long enough, the excellent Shuttleworth Collection isn't very far away.

Regards,

Tom
Banditt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 12:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice mate. im going to try get down twice in the summer. once for just the tour and to take pics and the second time for the air show.
Because im from manchester id never heard of it but it looks amazing.

cheers agen.
 _GOTOTOP