_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Brass stencil
rarecomponent
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 03:35 AM UTC
Can anyone advise me if its possible to home make precision
brass/other metal stencils without expensive equipment?
i.e. mainly lettering for fonts about 3mm tall. But they must be clear and sharp. I would be gratefull for any links.

thanks
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 10:42 AM UTC
Etching works really well on brass! Just use the same etching fluid you would use for etching electronic boards.

I don't have any links for this, but there are plenty out there. Basically you want to make a laser printout to be your etching guide...
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 02:49 PM UTC
While this kit is expensive, this will give you a list of materials needed for etching metal. As for the photo-resist, I remember reading an article, either here or on another website, where a pattern was printed onto paper from an inkjet printer, copied using a Xerox machine. Then using the Xeroxed copy and a hot clothes iron to transfer the pattern from the paper onto the brass sheet metal before etching. Hope this helps.

http://www.micromark.com/micro-mark-pro-etch-photo-etch-system,8346.html
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 10:14 PM UTC
I've actually had success printing out on my Laser printer on Ink Jet paper and then ironing that on...

I had to try 3 different types of paper, but in my case it was the cheapest kind that worked the best...

You just have to remember to print out the mirror-image of what you want to re-produce...
 _GOTOTOP