_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
De-building a kit
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:51 AM UTC
i don't know if that's how you'd describe it.... but anyway i have an academy tiger with interior that is semi built. i built it when i had just gotten back into modelling and just found out f the wonder of ca glue. well i wish to disassemble it and remake it, now that my skills and sharpened and i know how much glue to use and yadda yadda yadda. does anyone have good tips on how to do this? thanks guys!
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 07:11 AM UTC
dont know if this would work but you could try leaving the model in luke warm water to soak with maybe a little washing up liquid in the when (if that softens the ca glue) then carefully cut away with a blade.
Touchdown
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 481 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 07:13 AM UTC
mm, thats dificult.Because the glue melt the parts, i think it won't be possible, or you will have to cut the pieces off each other. Because the glue melt the parts,

grtz gary
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:24 PM UTC
Try the CA debonder. I used it once and it did the trick for me. Of course the stuff caused the Ca to go all over but it worked. I was able to successfully rebuild an entire sub-hull on one of my tanks.
capnjock
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 02:11 AM UTC
I've used CD debonder to disassemble part of a M2A2. Still a little melted from the plastic glue but it keeps it from breaking pieces off.

Paul
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:14 AM UTC
My three year old is extremely good at "de-builing" models... but I'm not sure you would ever be able to rebuild the kit when he got throught with it!
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 02:17 AM UTC
John
Use the CA debonder. Only use it sparingly (sp?). I have had success by soaking a Q-Tip or cotton swap in the debonder and running it along the glue joint. Give it a minute to soak in and then gently try to remove the part. Debonder will discolor the plastic and also soften plastic, so work slowly. You will have to resand any mating surfaces when you reassemble.
HTH
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 06:45 AM UTC
LOL Keith!! Ron, thanks for the tip and anyone else who told me to use CA de-bonder. I think this weekend I shall purchase some as I need to make a supply run.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 10:07 AM UTC
Lucky you didn't use regular glue for poly styrene or the only way would be to cut up model. I prefer that glue, as the CA has a tendency to dry to quick and plug the cap so I waste a lot of it when it hardens in the bottle. Just built an all resin kit with it, and though difficult, it works quite well
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 10:35 AM UTC
blaster i have and hate that same problem how it plugs the tip and hardens around the neck. i've found that using pipettes with thin thin CA glue works good. haven't tried it with medium yet.
 _GOTOTOP