_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
when youve finished............
wampablo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 01:32 AM UTC
..........a model what do you do with them ? I have no room so mine will just get boxed and put away until I move house or get a bigger shed
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 01:41 AM UTC
I have 2 IKEA bookshelves, that I also bought cabinet glass doors for, where I place all my finihsed models. They are only 28cm deep so it limits the depth of bases to certain extent, but this is often a good thing. Works for me, and keeps them relatively dust free.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 01:58 AM UTC
Yep vertical is the way to go, you can get some really nice glass cabinets as well, sort of a tower of cubes.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 03:23 AM UTC
I take photographs of all of my projects. They'll last forever and wont get dusty, plus hard drive space is easier to come by than shelf space.
I do put the kits on shelves when I have the space. I just moved and some of the builds that had more dust than paint made their way to the dust bin.
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 04:23 AM UTC
What is this "finished model" you speak of?!

I have an heirloom display case upstairs in our "reading room". Four glass shelves, mirrored back, oak finish, with a recessed light at the top. Probably 28" wide shelves, around 10" or so deep.

I build 1/48th scale quite a bit, and most of 1/35 stuff is smaller (UE Carrier, Staghound, etc). Now, as for where I'm putting my 1/16 T-34?

Good question...
ComaBlack
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 08:21 AM UTC
Usually just put them on a shelf or dresser or something if they are deemed worthy... Recently I made a new shelf out of a scale bridge made during my youngin' years as a budding carpenter. It holds a half dozen or so 1/35 vehicles and makes an easy diorama display sort of idea.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 11:07 AM UTC
I still have a lot of my finished models standing in my old room at my parents home. I have a few at the house where I currently live with my GF and I have some of my finished projects at my desk at work. These are mostly finished figure bases. I recycle a lot of parts from older works that I really have no place for anymore and then they get binned.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 - 02:53 AM UTC
I know this is an unconventional/unpopular answer, but I'm not wedded to my models. The latest build goes on display in my office; the rest gather dust in the closet with the majority being tossed at some point. I love modeling, but I don't want my house to fill up with dusty old models. Personal preference plus it helps keep the peace with my wife.
 _GOTOTOP