_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Printed Catalogs
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 664 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:16 AM UTC
Since the internet has become very popular the last few years, I have seen a decline in the number of companies who will mail you one of their printed catalogs. I agree its very convenient to have an online catalog that we can access anytime we want, but some times I still like to sit on my livingroom chair and browse thru a printed one.

Any of you guys know what I'm talking about? Any of you guys know of model companies that will still mail one of their catalogs?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:48 AM UTC
I know what you mean - I used to have all the tamiya ones.
Far and few between - I'd be hard pressed who has them now, or who has them cheaply I know you can purchase them from some places.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 07:09 AM UTC
Few are free anymore........MIcromark is though........
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:50 AM UTC
AS we all move into the star trek age, maybe they'll make downloadable catalogs for out PDAs

Joshua weingarten
IDF armour Group
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:54 AM UTC
funny you should say that my wife got a catalogue on a CD rom which is probally cheaper
to produce than print
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:02 PM UTC
CD's are far, far cheaper than print. Also far cheaper to mail!
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 04:35 PM UTC
yeap cd's are cheaper and easier to mail and all this , but the same old love for the printed staff remains as i was 14 years old.And the other thing is i dont wanna keep the computer on all the time i am modeling and wanna see something. I prefer to get the cat from the bookshelf and look at it . And this goeas also for the modelling info i get from this site . I printem all and store em in a file so i dont have to rememmber when it was issued or to see where it is now and all this.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 05:22 PM UTC
It's not model related, but I'm still waiting for my catalog from Guitar Center. I've been to the store and picked up 2 different ones since I requested one to be sent to me. bah!

The problem with a lot of model companies is most of them are actually barely more than cottage industries and #1 can't afford to send out tons of catalogs and #2 their available line changes more often than I change my underwear.

I can get most of the big name catalogs at one of my LHS's but they are kind of pricey. I spend 90% of my awake time in front of the computer anyway so it's easier for me to check the web than it is to pick up a paper catalog. So I just prefer to save the trees. That may change in a couple of months when I move out of Broadband area, though.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:04 PM UTC
Know what you are talking about....YES ...... On a rainy and cold sundaymorning I just love to have a cup of tea and sit on the sofa with the catalogues next to me ..... They always gave me som sort of inspiration..... and made me order more than I do now.... now I only look for what I need .... if I run across an item that just looks good.... I move to the next one until I find what I'm looking for.... Some years ago the printed catalogues made my wishlist a lot bigger....

I'm waiting for the time they all switch to a downloadable and complete catalogue on the web ..... just print and have fun again ..... But hey....I'm a dreamer I guess
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:47 PM UTC
And I know everybody has a computer and is on the www. As with many of you, I also like to peruse the printed page. Again, I have also spent more money on a whim because of the printed picture or word(I just HAVE to stop reading MMiR....someday....) than I have because of the net. It will be a sad day if all the paper catalogs go. I use the net to see if a vendor may have what I want, but I order because I saw it in print or in person first.
capnjock
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:23 AM UTC
For $5 a year, Squadron Signal still provides us with an annual catalog and 12 monthly supplements. Not a bad deal since it also qualifies the subscriber to their online Subscriber Special and the rare Bruce Beamish special as well. While these are hit-n-miss deals, the savings can be enormous. Hard copy catalogs also provide plenty of mobile reading resources for that "quality reading time" when nature calls.

Testors provides a downloadable pdf catalog of their products. Model Expo also provides a nice seasonal catalog as well. Most of the chain hobby shops provide a pile of model catalogs for Revell-Monogram and sometimes Revell of Germany. Smaller hobby shops appear to stick price tags on these freebies.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:47 AM UTC
Nothing is a substitute to the glossy catalogue..however, as someone said in a previous post, items get added, get deleted get re-issued with some frequency.. i suppose some of it comes from a sense of nostalgia, as a kid, we went crazy trying to get our hands on the new airfix catalogues when they were published ( those days they brought out new items, not the re-released pap of today). I try to keep ahead of the new releases and for that there is no substitute for the internet...I still miss the excitement of getting hold of a newly published catalogue in january or february and waiting for the new releases to arrive...
Jim
 _GOTOTOP