_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Alclad + Orange peel + clear (Future)
smokeshow86
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 11:21 AM UTC
I have a question regarding alclad, I have painted a model with Tamiya X1 paint an have some orange peel on some of the panels. I am going to paint Alclad chrome over the orange peel paint. I know the orange peel is going to transfer through the chrome. The question is after I airbrush Future over the chrome am I going to notice the orange peel effect?

Thanks in advance.
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 181 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 11:32 AM UTC
Yes, you will see the orange peel through the clear Future coat. Usually, Future is thin enough that the orange peel will also show through the top of a single coat of Future, too.
smokeshow86
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 12:00 PM UTC
Thanks, one more question. Whats the best way to get rid of the orange peel with out stripping the paint off?
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 181 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 12:45 PM UTC
I hate to say this, but about the best way (that I use) are polishing sticks from Sally Beauty Supply. You can get them small enough for only a couple of dollars, and you have a lot of control over the spot that you are working on. You can mask using post-it notes, and use panel lines as boundaries to polish out the worst areas, then respray them. It also does a great job of subtle panel effects, too.
 _GOTOTOP