_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Gunze Mr. Dissolved putty
mike_espo
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 11:20 AM UTC
Does anybody have any experience with this stuff? Am looking to make a switch from Squadron White. Too much shrinkage and brittle.

Been using Mr. Surfacer 500 with 91% alcohol for minute seam filling. Seems to work well, but again, a lot of shrinkage necessitating many applications.

thanks
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hi Mike

Me too i'm quite curious about Mr dissolved putty because I haven't found it yet at my local hobby shop so actually I've never used

Anyway as far as i know Mr surfacer and Mr dissolved putty actually have the same thinner (which would be a kind of very stinking lacquer thinner, but also acetone can easily dilute them) so most likely youll'have the shrinkage also using the new product. The only difference as far as I've understood is that Mr dissolved putty is far finer than mr surfacer so you can use it to fill small gaps such as those that you have assembling aircraft canopies.For small gaps i usually dilute a bit of Tamiya white putty with Tamiya lacquer thinner (yellow cap) then i apply it with a tiny brush.

Anyway as I told you I've never used so I'd like to know more about

cheers
mike_espo
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 11:56 AM UTC
Ciao Mauro. Thanks for the reply. Cannot get it in the USA yet. All suppliers are out. Don't know if it will ship from Europe....
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 12:27 PM UTC
You can get some from http://www.redfroghobbies.com/Putty.htm (no affiliation).
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anybody have any experience with this stuff? Am looking to make a switch from Squadron White. Too much shrinkage and brittle.

Been using Mr. Surfacer 500 with 91% alcohol for minute seam filling. Seems to work well, but again, a lot of shrinkage necessitating many applications.

thanks

Two words
LOVE IT

It's not the same stuff an Mr Surfacer 500, it's thinner and the 'carrier' evaporates more so what is left behind is a small amount of filler just where you want it.

It is less hard when dry than MR 500, so scraping excess away is not an issue either.

It's not good for filling e-pin marks, but does wonders for small seams or around small fittings that should sit flush but do not.
After one application, the PT76 fenders were perfect.

CRM in St Louis had some on the shelves, and I got some from HLJ in an order as well.
Run, don't walk, to get some

Mike
rwaldram
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 08:45 PM UTC
I've got to agree with the last post. Years ago i tried a product i bought on eBay that was a brush on putty/filler, the two jar's i bought were brilliant but by the time i'd finished them they were no longer available.

I found this the Mr Gunze one and haven't looked back, it is brilliant. It's easy to apply, easy to sand and accepts paint without complaint. I'm just getting frustrated at the moment because i've just moved interstate and can't find anyone that sells it or Plastruct Plastic weld yet...
mike_espo
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

thanks

Two words
LOVE IT

It's not the same stuff an Mr Surfacer 500, it's thinner and the 'carrier' evaporates more so what is left behind is a small amount of filler just where you want it.

It is less hard when dry than MR 500, so scraping excess away is not an issue either.

It's not good for filling e-pin marks, but does wonders for small seams or around small fittings that should sit flush but do not.
After one application, the PT76 fenders were perfect.

CRM in St Louis had some on the shelves, and I got some from HLJ in an order as well.
Run, don't walk, to get some

Mike

Lived in StL for 3 years. Don't remember that shop. You mean Mark Twain Hobbies in St. Charles?
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 06:10 AM UTC
Galaxy Hobbies in Washington State has some. They are in the Seattle area and I am sure would be happy to ship you some. I know cause I just saw this the other day and had no idea what it was, no that I know I am gonna pick some up next trip. Cheers.
PS here is their contact (425) 670-0454
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 154 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC
Also available from southern california.

http://robot4less.com/modeling-supplies/putty/mrdissolved-putty-mrhobby

Hope this helps.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lived in StL for 3 years. Don't remember that shop. You mean Mark Twain Hobbies in St. Charles?

You missed it too?
I grew up in Belleville (Harters and Bollmeirs) and only discovered CRM at AMPS in Md when I had moved to Vermont.

For a while when I travelled home to visit my folks, I'd bring an extra carry on bag to fill up and bring home. There are still ZERO good shops in VT.

They used to be over by the park and Ted Drews (Manchester ave, Chouteau ave?) so I could hit the zoo, Ted's and hobby shop all in one go.

The place used to be a pile-pickers paradise. TONS of consignment kits, new releases, books, magazines, aftermarket all sort of just piled up. But Chris ALWAYS knew EXACTLY where what I was looking for was, how many he had in stock.. amazing.

They've since moved across town and were more tidylast time I was there 2 yrs ago.

CRM Hobbies
5101 Eichelberger Street, St. Louis, MO 63109-3236
(314) 832-4840 ‎
crmhobbies.com

well worth the visit.

Mike
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 03:10 PM UTC
I agree with MLD and others. I actually switched from Mr Surfacer 500 to Mr Dissolved Putty as I felt the Mr Surfacer was a bit difficult to work with on 1/35 scale figures (conversions and repositioning, etc).

I picked some up at my LHS a while ago, and finally got a chance to use it. As others have said, the carrier evaporates and leaves the filler EXACTLY where you need it. It doesn't shrink as much as Mr Surfacer either.

Here are a couple of shots mating Verlinden heads with some 20 year old DML figures from earlier this week.

Again, this stuff works, and works well. The smell is a bit much, but not overpowering.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 06:58 PM UTC
Mike & Mike, If you get the chance, go ahead and visit CRM. I was last there about 7 years ago. It's a small shop CRAMMED full of plastic kits and reference materials. I was in Wildwood, Mark Twain was a bit easier to get to but CRM was a treat to visit. Chris (CRM) is a major supporter of modeling in STL, AMPS and IPMS Gateway. He is/was (Web link is broken) a big supporter of Modeling Madness.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 10:36 PM UTC
I've been using Mr. Dissolved Putty for about a year now and the one issue I have is it starts to dry so quickly that it can be difficult to spread smoothly. Just so I'm clear on the suggestions above - it can be thinned with 91% alcohol, acetone (nail polish remover?) or lacquer thinner?
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC
I'm at the point again where I need to use Mr. Dissolved Putty to fill some small gaps. Can anyone confirm the best way to thin it?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC
Mr. Hobby's own thinners are the best for this job if you can get them.
 _GOTOTOP