_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello from Denver, Colorado USA
ThomasDF
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 07:13 PM UTC
I've loved model building for a very long 939 years), but it's only been recently that I've been able to really jump into it full force. I am disabled with rheumatoid and fibromyalgia, this means I have some pretty big challenges when it comes to using my hands. When I decided to start building models again, all I was really expecting was a mild distraction from all these symptoms. Much to my amazement building models turned out to be the idea therapy.

My conditions not only cause physical disadvantages, but emotional problems as well. Severe fatigue and depression are regular occurrences. I found that model building actually alleviates them by around 80%. That effect is down right euphoric. Needless to say I have gone from an casual interest to a fanatic about model building.

In the last 4 months I've built 13 models and another 6 are in progress. So far I've purchased over 40 kits and I'm just getting started. I still have a lot of supplies to buy, but 'm getting there. The big Kahoona I intent to buy in the near future is a good airbrush setup. I've never used one before, so that should be a lot of fun.

Slowly but surely I'm learning techniques. I've done tons of research and spent countless hours watching YouTube videos. What amazes me is all the new companies out there and how big model building has become. I go crazy over seeing all the kits available. I have over 200 on my wishlist so far and I will be buying another 20 kits in the next couple of months. My very favorite are ships and planes, having been in both the US Navy and US Coast Guard with 5 1/2 years at sea. I was a Boatswain's Mate in the Navy and a Hospital Corpsman in the Coast Guard. But I also really enjoy building armor. For some odd reason, armor models have the most therapy value and I really enjoy building them.

I very much look forward to meeting everyone and I'll have a least million question. I am learning alternate ways of using my hands and can come pretty close to normal people. I want very much to advance in model building and make my models more and more impressive.

Now that I've found this place with people to talk to, I won't constantly hound my sons with every little thing I think of about models. I do drive them crazy sometimes, but they're very sweet and tolerant about it. They think dad's a 12 year old again and they're right. I'm having the time of my life.

Thomas
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 07:50 AM UTC
Thomas, welcome to the site. I always knew there was something physically legitimate with model building. Glad to hear it is helping you so much. I think the best benefit is how happy it is making you.
ThomasDF
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 09:20 AM UTC
Thank you Russ. For me it's all about the fun and I haven't had this much fun for a long time. What I like the most is that's there's so many aspects to model building to enjoy, it's impossible to get bored. Right now I mostly build the inexpensive models as I learn the basics, which was advanced the last time I built them.
Thomas
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 12:30 PM UTC
Welcome, Thomas. It's wonderful how this great hobby is so therapeutic for you.
ThomasDF
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 01:54 PM UTC
Thank you jjasmine. It's simply amazing how a hobby can have so many positive effects. I still can't figure it out, but it's been like entering a whole new world of pure pleasure. It's no wonder the hobby has grown so much in the last few decades. The first time I built a model was in 1971 while stationed at the Coast Guard Academy. I built a 1:48 scale Corsair II and Stuka with a snake running down the fuselage. Much to my amazement people came from all over the Academy to see them. What a rush when people like your work.
Thomas
django70
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 01:21 AM UTC
Thomas-

From one returning polystyrene aficionado to another, welcome back! I think you will definitely see that the theme of therapeutic pleasure for the soul runs wide around here.

I have a quick thought that has occurred to me through the years and I've noted amongst us military modellers especially, regarding another type of therapy. The demographic of fans of this genre runs deep and wide. In a world that seems to be more and more polarized in viewpoints, this sort of modelling bridges great gaps. I've met builders of many religions, races, and political beliefs (as well as quite a few women too!). Friendships have been made and positive dialogue has been established in spots where walls formerly stood. For many of us it is grounded in the deep respect for the brave men and women who fought and gave their lives for their fellow country. The unifying aspect of that can not be denied. Of course, the kits are really cool too.

I hope that you find your experience here to be as inspirational for you and your son, as I do. There is a truly great community here, and a lot of fun to be had.

Good Luck and best wishes -- Lee

ThomasDF
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 06:15 AM UTC
Thank you, Lee. I really agree with you, model building kind of forces people to see what they have in common rather than differences. It requires so much focus that you're unable to even see differences. In my own way, I do build some of my models to honor brothers who died and way too many did. I also honor others who served and not just Americans. I'm building the Sea Harrier to honor the British pilots in the Falkland War. Once I get some of these model building basics down I'll be participating more in the forums. I'd like to have something to offer and not just come here to get help. I'm still at the stage of getting the supplies I need and building an absurd cache of kits I call my "treasure trove". I am so glad I got back into building models again, it's really changed my quality of life.
Thomas
 _GOTOTOP