_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Beauty Make-up as substitute for pastels?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:05 AM UTC
Ok this might sound gayish. While I was looking at my mom while she apply a make-up, I notice that it is somewhat like chalk pastels sanded down into very fine grains. I also thought about using it as a substitue for my chalk pastels. Has anyone done this? Will it work?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:44 AM UTC
Not gayish at all. You need to be careful about which kind you use. If you use your Moms favorite kind you may get yourself in trouble - seriously - some of brands are oily and may not be as nice as pastels. Just test them out. Lots of them have a glittery quality to them, so they may not look right.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not gayish at all. You need to be careful about which kind you use. If you use your Moms favorite kind you may get yourself in trouble - seriously - some of brands are oily and may not be as nice as pastels. Just test them out. Lots of them have a glittery quality to them, so they may not look right.

Thanks! I know I'll get into trouble if I used my mom's fav, so I'm using the excess ones. I'll check out the results.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:14 PM UTC
I would be interested in finding out how it works. I would think the oil based would adhere better, of course I wouldn't think you could find good weathering colors. Might work real well on figures though.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:41 PM UTC
Good idea, although I would think that they would be lighter and pinkish than normal dust. But I could be wrong. Let us know how it turns out!

~Chip :-)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:43 PM UTC
dont forget about the blusher brushes these are dirt cheap massive and very soft you can use these for applying pastels or dusting down your models
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC
the earth colours of women's make up can be used for figures flesh painting, i ve tried it and it works . most of them are sticky enough dut to the oil base but some cheaper are just dust like the pastels. still believe that the painting pastels are cheaper , better and in a lot of colours that tthe make up doesnt come out
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:07 AM UTC
I never thought of painting figs with them. Good idea Major Goose. I will certainly look
into that!

~Chip :-)
 _GOTOTOP