_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Getting scaled plans to print in scale?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 07:41 AM UTC
Not even sure how to ask the question really.

What I am trying to figure out now is how to get the plans printed out in actual scale.

Over in the Jet DG a fellow turned me on to http://www.airwar.ru.../su24major.html

Several of these files are in unfamiliar formats and I gather that I can open and manipulate them with the program ifranview , http://www.irfanview.com/
but I have not started playing around with it yet.

Up until now I have been letting Microsoft do the heavy lifting for me and just telling it to print, it obliges and while sometimes offering to fit images to the standard sized paper, generally what comes out the other end is not in precise 'lay the model part onto the page to check the accuracy' fashion.

I'm not computer illiterate, but am not a draftsman/CAD/CAM guy either.

I can handle the math of scaling 1/48 to 1/72 or such, but I'd rather not print the plans, measure then, do the math , then photocopy to enlarge or reduce to 'my' scale.

does this make any sense?

Anybody got any clue how I go about doing it?

Mike
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 09:50 AM UTC
There is a utility called scalecalc by Frank Krenshaw
http://home.bresnan.net/~crenshaw/scalecalc.zip

which can work it out many ways & is easy for us that are mathematically challenged...
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 11:35 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

I don't think there's a simple answer. I can't open the link to see the plans in question, so cannot tell what type of file they are or even if they come with a scale bar. However, I ran across Irfanview with regard to CAD drawings, so if that is what you are looking at it sounds like you need to get some CAD skills to print them to a set scale.

Can you look at the files and post a full file name with extension so we can see what type they are?

Regards,

Tom
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mike,

I don't think there's a simple answer. I can't open the link to see the plans in question, so cannot tell what type of file they are or even if they come with a scale bar. However, I ran across Irfanview with regard to CAD drawings, so if that is what you are looking at it sounds like you need to get some CAD skills to print them to a set scale.

Can you look at the files and post a full file name with extension so we can see what type they are?

Regards,

Tom

Tom,
I tried to post up a file to google docs to be shared/viewed, but it requires an email address for the allowed viewer to do so.
There does not seem to be a global 'share with everyone' setting

One file I am working with is a .tif
Others have .avi or .pcx file types.

Some images do have scale bars, but many of the images are bigger (or smaller than a sheet of paper) and with the picture viewer and printer scaling them for me.. I'm back where I started.

If the image has 1 meter scale bar (many do), I can scale it to 1/72 pretty easily... with a photocopier and a little maths.

I guess I was hoping to do this all while sitting on my butt in front of the computer. One step, no muss, no fuss

But that seems less and less possible.

Mike
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 04:30 AM UTC
use paint.net - it is basically a freeware version of photoshop (some of the more advance features not there of course), then follow this proceedure:

1. find out what the proper wing span or some other characteristic length should be (if there is a scale rule, then great). convert this to the scale you desire.

2. open drawing in paint.net (or photoshop if you have it)

3. in paint.net under the view menu, open rulers (if it isn't already).

4. again in the view menu, select either inches or centimeters - whatever units you have converted your characteristic length to.

5. in the Image menu, resize your image file till the characteristic scale length measures out properly on the ruler. this may take a bit of fiddling to get perfect.

at this point you now have a scale drawing. now you just need to make sure that the image prints the same as it actually is scaled out. converting to PDF may help with this if you are having issues with normal printing.

you might also want to double check your scaling with one or two other characteristic lengths, keeping in mind that measurements listed for a vehicle may not exctly match those used in the drawing and that you really can't say which is the more accurate.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 03:21 AM UTC
paint.net sounds like it will do the trick in one sitting, thanks I'll have to check it out
Mike

Quoted Text

use paint.net - it is basically a freeware version of photoshop (some of the more advance features not there of course), then follow this proceedure:

1. find out what the proper wing span or some other characteristic length should be (if there is a scale rule, then great). convert this to the scale you desire.

2. open drawing in paint.net (or photoshop if you have it)

3. in paint.net under the view menu, open rulers (if it isn't already).

4. again in the view menu, select either inches or centimeters - whatever units you have converted your characteristic length to.

5. in the Image menu, resize your image file till the characteristic scale length measures out properly on the ruler. this may take a bit of fiddling to get perfect.

at this point you now have a scale drawing. now you just need to make sure that the image prints the same as it actually is scaled out. converting to PDF may help with this if you are having issues with normal printing.

you might also want to double check your scaling with one or two other characteristic lengths, keeping in mind that measurements listed for a vehicle may not exctly match those used in the drawing and that you really can't say which is the more accurate.

Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 09:00 PM UTC
If you want, I am a Draughtsman and have a full suite of AutoCAD.

What I can do is take any image file and scale it into the drawing then plot a PDF to a standard sheet size.

Then all you have to do is print it on the nominated page size and you'll have a scale plan.

PM me if you want.
 _GOTOTOP