_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
advice please!
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 09:50 AM UTC
hey everyone,

ok i'm planning my 1st proper build, getting the kit this weekend (tamiya humvee) but my problem is that my local model shop stocks very little, mainly tamiya paints, kits and revell paints and kits.
basicly what i wanted to know is if there is a well reputated model website (UK based) that i can use to get everything else i.e. MIG pigments etc. I aint too worried about getting the cheapest deal on stuff, just as long as its a relaible website lol thank you!
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey everyone,

ok i'm planning my 1st proper build, getting the kit this weekend (tamiya humvee) but my problem is that my local model shop stocks very little, mainly tamiya paints, kits and revell paints and kits.
basicly what i wanted to know is if there is a well reputated model website (UK based) that i can use to get everything else i.e. MIG pigments etc. I aint too worried about getting the cheapest deal on stuff, just as long as its a relaible website lol thank you!

so you want to jump into using MIg pigments and other advanced stuff on your first proper build??? I don't even use those after 37 years of building kits... maybe i am misunderstanding "first proper build", but your LHS should have everything you need to build a solid and presentable first serious model.
ludwig113
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 04:13 AM UTC
hi,

one of the best i've used is modelsforsale.com
and here's your mig pigments
modelsforsale

very reliable and quick/safe postage.

paul
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 05:30 AM UTC
Models for Sale are pretty good. I like netmerchants aswell:

http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/

Good luck with your first build Alex!
bronzey
Visit this Community
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC
Vance - by 'first proper build' i meant one of my planned one's for the collection I am going to start. i have done a number of kits already that have been my testing and trying to see how I cope etc. I get what your saying but the way I see it is how am I going to learn new skills if I don't atempt them? whitout meaning to come across rude, if I build a kit and make a dog's dinner out of it then its my time and money wasted, of course i'm hoping this doesn't happen lol.

As for the two sites that have been given, I've looked at both and happy with both of them lol atleast its given me a starting point and yet another place to trawl pages 'surf shopping' before I get paid tomorrow.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hi Alex,

If price is no object you could also look at Hannants.

As for tying new stuff, I agree you need to take the plunge if you want to learn, but I'd suggest you also invest in a super-cheap clunker of a kit (like an old Tamiya M41 or similar - just aim at the under-£10 goal) and practice each new technique on it before doing anything irreversible to your more expensive hummvee. I've been building long enough to have left-over hulls from "organ donor" kits and I use these as test-palettes to try out new ideas. If the test goes well, then I do it to the real model...

Tom
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 01:17 PM UTC
When it comes to ordering online in the UK for a broad range of goods I use Halifax Modellers World or Model Hobbies as a back up to the first. I recently placed an order with Halifax Modellers World and it was delivered the next day. I am in Wiltshire and they are in Halifax which with the British post office I thought was excellent.
 _GOTOTOP