_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Hobby Shops - Edmonton
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 848 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi There,

I just recently moved to Edmonton any hobby shops that anyone can reccomend? I'm primarily a figure modeller any shops in Alberta general that carry a solid choice of figures?

Cheers

Ray
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 04:17 AM UTC
Ray, you should get out to an Edmonton IPMS meeting. When I lived there I tried to attend as often as I could. They get between 40-80 guys out. I'm sure some of the guys there could give you the best advice for figure shopping.

http://ipmsedmonton.com/news
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 02:05 PM UTC
Well the hobby shops here in Edmonton suck to say the least . If you are into the RC they have every thing you can dream of.

One to have a look at is in Kingsway Garden Mall , Cosmix Hobby ask to speak with Cory . He can order in most stuff their or one of their suppliers is Squadron . If squadron has it then they can bring it for you .
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 11:48 PM UTC
Have you lived in many other cities in Canada?

I found Edmonton to have a decent selection of hobby shops compared to most other cities in the country.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 12:29 PM UTC
Yes I have been too other hobby shops across Canada , Vancouver being the best ........
jrybak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 02:08 PM UTC
The Edmonton hobby shop scene is certainly not what it once was. There are only 3 that I check out when I am in town, Hobby Wholesale, Comex Hobby, and Kites and Other Delights.

Hobby Wholesale I think has the best selection of kits and paints, but are mainly R/C. Comex I would rate second, and Kites 3rd. However there isn't much selection for Dragon stuff in the city anymore. One guy told me they stopped bringing it in because it was too expensive and sat on the shelf until he marked it down 40% off. I would tend to agree with that statement.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 04:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Edmonton hobby shop scene is certainly not what it once was. There are only 3 that I check out when I am in town, Hobby Wholesale, Comex Hobby, and Kites and Other Delights.

Hobby Wholesale I think has the best selection of kits and paints, but are mainly R/C. Comex I would rate second, and Kites 3rd. However there isn't much selection for Dragon stuff in the city anymore. One guy told me they stopped bringing it in because it was too expensive and sat on the shelf until he marked it down 40% off. I would tend to agree with that statement.

Comex is the one I deal with now ( close to home ) Kite's and other delights are no longer in west ed mall they closed shop , have heard that they still have a south side side , but is smaller . Yes most of the shops here now only stock Revell or Hase kits because of the latter ...kit's costing to much .
lcarroll
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,032 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Comex is the one I deal with now ( close to home ) Kite's and other delights are no longer in west ed mall they closed shop , have heard that they still have a south side side , but is smaller . Yes most of the shops here now only stock Revell or Hase kits because of the latter ...kit's costing to much .

Kites in the Edmonton South Common is a good place for supplies; kits are a Net shopping exercise in this area. (I live in Cold Lake and stock up on the basics on visits to the Big City) The Comex(?) Hobby Shop in the Kingsway Mall is also good for basic supplies.
I visit Ottawa and Toronto occasionally and it's pretty hard to find a shop anywhere with a good stock of kits; probably the big guys on net are the only ones that can carry the overhead stocking costs.

Cheers,
Lance
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 08:45 AM UTC
Thanks Gentlemen,

How about the show scene, I see the Western Regionals is in Edmonton this year, any other good shows to look for?

Cheers

Ray
krow113
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 473 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 01:30 PM UTC
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 706 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 03:33 PM UTC
Ray

Edmonton International AFV Model Show & Military Vehicle Display

Aug 25, 2012.

http://www.aafvms.ca/

Anthony
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 03:51 PM UTC
Calgary has multiple great hobby shops...Modelland, PMS Hobbycraft (soon with two locations), Uncle Bills, Chinook & Hobby West, Phoenix Comics, and you can buy direct from the excellent online shop Hobbystuff Depot here in Calgary too!

RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 03:32 PM UTC
Hi There,

I'm looking for a place to get some good quality display bases for my figures/vignettes in Edmonton.

any suggestions?

Cheers

Ray
 _GOTOTOP