_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
help
cj_baller
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 49 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2003 - 02:34 AM UTC
hi guys, its been a while since i have written on here, and that it my problem. I have started 2 of my first diorama's with great intentions. Often i have found that i am out of my depth because of my lack of ability when painting, moulding, and general moddeling. This tends to make me lose interest and it has now been at least two months since i thouched a model, i have spent large amounts of money trying to get all of the models and supplies i need but i cant follow it up with the commitment to finish it, do any of you guys have any tips on how to keep it interesting, or how to improve my abilities thanks for your help in advance
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC
You are now in the grips of modelling malaise. It is a very hard thing to overcome, but given time it cures itself. If you want to be a good modeller, then this is a great time to learn as much as you can, do nothing important, just play around. Get another little model you can throw away and just do your worst. If you buy it with the intent of throwing it away (eventually) then you are more willing to make the effort because failure doesn't mean you wasted your money. I can't remember who said it but a guy once said something to the effect that:"if I fail a hundred times, I haven't failed, I have learned what not to do." I probably butchered it.

Rob
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2003 - 03:09 AM UTC
This is how I approach modeling - "build for my enjoyment". I want to get better and build like some of the others here. I also realize that I can't do it all at once. I also realize that no matter how much I improve there will always be someone better, somewhere.
I approach each project and decide what I want to focus on as far as improving - dry brushing, washing, super detail, scratch building, .... I consciously only pick one. That way it trims down the amount of 'concern' over improving I impose on my self. As I build I definitely repeat all the previous techniques I've learned (thus improving those out of repetition).
At the end I first look at my work and compare it to my previous work BEFORE I compare it to anyone Else's. If it's better - then I have achieved my goal. If it's as good as the others here, then I have nailed it.
Don't stress about it - My The Fall dio took almost 2 years to complete. The wall was poured over 18 months, the 1/2 track was done and sitting on a shelf, about 8 months ago...

Remember: You can't eat an entire elephant in one sitting....
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC
Its ok, I was once where you are. Just relax, and take it slow. The only way to get better at modeling is actually modeling. So don't just sit there, get out there and finsih what you started, and then for the hell of it, start another kit!

Practice makes perfect!

~Chip :-)
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2003 - 06:39 AM UTC
Break down the project into as many steps as you think the project will take.WRITE THEM DOWN. Then start at the first step and complete that. Forget about the other steps until the first one is done. As has been said above, only try to improve or learn one technique per project. If the project has many new techniques, then it would be better to shelve the project until your skills are up to it. I have many projects I would love to do, but I need to learn much about figures and dio's before I do the 'dream'. (there is no rush to do these projects.As the skills increase, the projects will be attacked).Also, as your skills increase step, by step, you will find the intimidation factor of any project will decrease
capnjock
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:09 AM UTC
One thing that I do to avoid the burn-out is to mix in a few figures. They are really cheap (I use the plastic ones) and can be worked on in shorter "installments". Sometimes if you try to accumulate EVERYTHING you will need to complete a dio - you get overwhelmed, and can't see any progress being made. I generally build all of the vehicles and figures before I worry too much about the scene. That way I always feel like I'm at least making a little progress.

HTH
Jeff
 _GOTOTOP